• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP) training

Reaction score
(EDIT) I meant Apple Service Certification, not ACSP. Whoops (EDIT)

So,
Thinking about down the road and what possibilities i might want to entertain when deciding what to do with my life, and I would like to gain an edge when it comes to other people, if it be in college applications (oh man.....), potential employers and whatnot. And i would like to maybe take the ACSP exam, or something of that nature, no special reason, but it can only help me. But it seems like a long and confusing process.
Has anyone done it?
What is the TOTAL cost of the whole deal?
Is the AppleCare Technician training worth it?
What does it all cover?
General opinions or comments anyone?

Just thinking. My dad is an ASE (i think that's the acronym) certified Mechanic and he said he just kinda guessed and rushed through his exam to get recertified and he passed.
Yup, thats my dad, im SO PROUD.haha.

Thanks,
Tanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
[edit] I think I'm talking about the ASE that your dad has so my post may be irrelevant [/edit]

I know someone who did - they really enjoyed it
He got me a copy of mac test pro for my G4 - amazingly it came on OS8.6 with a few goodies. Sawtooth motherboards are not supposed to be able to boot using anything less than OS9.
He also learnt how to discharge a CRT motherboard and repair them which sounds like good fun. Though in this day and age you probably wouldn't do that anymore with the prevalence of flat panels.
I asked if he'd have a go at fixing my CRT at the time to which he said he could give it a go, but I opted to go down the extended warranty line (which worked) and got a shiny new 17" LCD for my persistance.

From what I've heard the ACSP (I think it used to be called ACSE) sounds like a bit of a money grubbing thing unless you've got your heart set on being a mac engineer.
You have to continually renew the qualification for it to have validity which means taking courses every year or swatting up on new technologies (ie with every new version of OSX or OSX server and new mac released).

My general opinion is employers would look more highly on a computer science degree of some kind or experience working in the business.

Cost? No idea as when the guy did it it was about 10 years ago and I have no idea what he paid.

The key thing if you do decide to do it is to make sure you work in an apple store (or somewhere at apple) afterwards because every apple store gets the SSOL (Service Source Online?) training material and inside info about how to troubleshoot known problems. If you don't keep this uptodate you can guarantee that your money will not be well spent as you will be out of date 6-12 months down the line

Just my 2¢

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
[edit] I think I'm talking about the ASE that your dad has so my post may be irrelevant [/edit]

I know someone who did - they really enjoyed it
He got me a copy of mac test pro for my G4 - amazingly it came on OS8.6 with a few goodies. Sawtooth motherboards are not supposed to be able to boot using anything less than OS9.
He also learnt how to discharge a CRT motherboard and repair them which sounds like good fun. Though in this day and age you probably wouldn't do that anymore with the prevalence of flat panels.
I asked if he'd have a go at fixing my CRT at the time to which he said he could give it a go, but I opted to go down the extended warranty line (which worked) and got a shiny new 17" LCD for my persistance.

From what I've heard the ACSP (I think it used to be called ACSE) sounds like a bit of a money grubbing thing unless you've got your heart set on being a mac engineer.
You have to continually renew the qualification for it to have validity which means taking courses every year or swatting up on new technologies (ie with every new version of OSX or OSX server and new mac released).

My general opinion is employers would look more highly on a computer science degree of some kind or experience working in the business.

Cost? No idea as when the guy did it it was about 10 years ago and I have no idea what he paid.

The key thing if you do decide to do it is to make sure you work in an apple store (or somewhere at apple) afterwards because every apple store gets the SSOL (Service Source Online?) training material and inside info about how to troubleshoot known problems. If you don't keep this uptodate you can guarantee that your money will not be well spent as you will be out of date 6-12 months down the line

Just my 2¢

The ASE my dad has is Automotive Service Excellence LOL. Sorry about that.

ACtually when i posted this thread i didn't mean ACSP, i was more interested in the Apple Service Certification exams,
anyone done those?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.