Cram and Jam

E

[emblym]

I am most likley getting this deal from apple.com and I must say i am very excited. I plan on getting the 12" Powerbook and a 20 GB iPod. Do any of you have any suggestions for me? Is the 12" a good system? I plan on upgrading to 512 MB Ram. The deal is only offered to students and is located in the link below. With both the student discount and the $200 rebate for the iPod I will be saving $530 on the entire purchase. But again I am very excited and can't wait to get them both. Again, here is the link and if you were wondering the deal ends September 25.

Cram and Jam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Make sure you buy them together on the same order! My parents bought my powerbook, and I figured I would pay for the ipod myself with my own check card since they were so generous with my pb. I placed the order for each within a few hours of eachother, but the policy states they have to be on the same order so they rejected my claim. Pretty lame if you ask me, but it's my fault I didn't read the fine print.

OP
P

pitythefool

gort said:
Make sure you buy them together on the same order! My parents bought my powerbook, and I figured I would pay for the ipod myself with my own check card since they were so generous with my pb. I placed the order for each within a few hours of eachother, but the policy states they have to be on the same order so they rejected my claim. Pretty lame if you ask me, but it's my fault I didn't read the fine print.

Yeah, that sucks. I've just bought an iBook and new iPod, still to mail off the form, but hoping it's all good! :)

Still, an awesome deal as long as you're careful.

OP
I

iSheep

I've got the 12" PowerBook with 768MB of RAM - I only noticed it struggling when I had Dreamweaver, Photoshop and a whole bunch of other apps open running on dual screen while burning a DVD :D

My dad got the iPod - I've got a 3G :)

OP
M

m1k

I am most likley getting this deal from apple.com and I must say i am very excited. I plan on getting the 12" Powerbook and a 20 GB iPod. Do any of you have any suggestions for me? Is the 12" a good system? I plan on upgrading to 512 MB Ram. The deal is only offered to students and is located in the link below. With both the student discount and the $200 rebate for the iPod I will be saving $530 on the entire purchase. But again I am very excited and can't wait to get them both. Again, here is the link and if you were wondering the deal ends September 25.

Great choice. I myself have a PowerBook 12" 1.33GHz with 512MB RAM. It's the best computer I've ever used, by far. It's so tiny you can take it practically anywhere and it'll run just about anything without a hitch :). Good luck with it! Also, the iPod rocks, I'm thinking of either getting a regular iPod or a mini, but I expect it'll be the same quality as the PowerBook (i.e. pure pwnage).

Good luck, that's a great decision!

OP
E

[emblym]

hey thanks...is there by chance a list of applications that come with the powerbook? i know iLife comes standard along as some other things. what about toast?

also..the first thing i did whenever i bought a new PC was do u clean fresh install of windows. is that neccisarry to do when i get this powerbook?

OP
M

m1k

Mail, iChat, Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, Garageband and iDVD[4]), iSync, iCal, DVD Player, Classic environment, Acrobat Reader, Art Directors Toolkit, EarthLink TotalAccess (includes 30 days of free dial-up service with Earthlink activation), FileMaker Pro Trial, GraphicConverter, OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, QuickBooks for Mac New User Edition, Zinio Reader, Developer Tools and Apple Hardware Test

^^Cut-and-pasted from the Apple site. Sorry, Toast isn't in there.

Nope, OS X is pretty much perfect :). It's UNIX, so it's built to be used for just about forever without having to be restarted, it doesn't slow down if you've been using it for a long time. Unlike Windows, a clean install does pretty much nothing for OS X, it'll still be as fast as the first day you got it. That's one of the great things about Macs, they're really low-maintenance because they're UNIX-based.

OP
E

[emblym]

yea i found that list not to long after i posted this. sorry to make u work. thats to bad about not having toast tho. because i have a toast file someone has giving me, so i guess that means i cant use it right?

correct me if im wrong but a .toast file is just a Roxio Toast image file right? or is it something totally different?

OP
M

m1k

Well, just get Toast Titanuim for like $70 if you really need to, but I don't really think it's necessary. Just get your friend to send you a normal file. The CD and DVD burning apps for OS X are integrated into the Finder and they work really well. Just drag the stuff you want onto the CD, and then click the burn button. If you want an audio CD, go into iTunes. If you want a DVD for a DVD player, go into iMovie. Simple.

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.