Check out FractalWorks fractal renderer

Reaction score
I just released a new version of FractalWorks, a high performance Fractal Renderer for Macintoshes running OS X 10.4 or later.

It's universal and multi-threaded, and will run circles around most other fractal rendering programs. It also creates very cool looking images.

It supports custom URLs that let you encode all the information needed to recreate a fractal plot into a link.

Click here to download the application. Here are a couple of sample images. If you click on one after you've downloaded the application, it will launch and render it on your computer.

(click the link to launch FractalWorks and generate the plot on your Mac.)

OP
D
Reaction score
56 Views and no comments?

I'm curious as to what people think of the images, and more importantly, what you think of the software. By all means, let me know what you think!

Duncan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Downloading now! ;) I haven't played with a fractal viewer for years.

eta: Good grief, it's faster than the ones I used to use. :eek: Computers have moved on a bit since then....

OP
D
Reaction score
Fractal rendering speed

Downloading now! ;) I haven't played with a fractal viewer for years.

eta: Good grief, it's faster than the ones I used to use. :eek: Computers have moved on a bit since then....

knightlie,

Computers are a good bit faster, and I also have implemented quite a few tricks.

FractalWorks figures out the symmetric parts of plots. When it finds parts of a plot that are symmetric to other parts, it only renders the unique bits, and flips them around to draw the symmetric parts.

It is also "multi-threaded," so it uses all the processors on your system. If you have a dual core system both cores are kept busy. If you're lucky enough to own a quad-core or 8-core system, all those cores crank away. An 8-core mac is a wonder to behold with this program.

Lastly, and most significantly, it uses a "boundary following" algorithm which traces the outline of regions of a plot that have the same iteration value, and "paint bucket fills" the inside of those regions. This make a HUGE difference in plot speed, and is particularly noticeable on slower Macs.

Duncan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't get it, can somebody explain this to me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I've started to play with it, and I'm impressed. Two things come to mind on what I'd be happy to see.

1. Number of iterations is limited for deep zooming, though the limit of 65535 yields very nice plots. I'd love to see something in the million range, though that should be balanced on what is meaningful to the program. If cpu cycles are being wasted, then less iterations would be fine. I'm used to the old DOS program fractint, which was designed for very deep zooming. At present I use XaoS as my fractal viewer, which does not support deep zooming, but has lots of nice features.

2. When choosing a new fractal, the default starting values should allow for the base Mandelbrot set position. Sometimes I just like to restart from "home."

Frankly I like to interactively change the fractal as I'm zooming and panning, but I guess I could always zoom out, choose a new point, and zoom in on that. I can also "create a new fractal" if I want to change the number of iterations.

It seems to be a very good program. I'm impressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
ok this appears to be over my head, I don't know what numbers to put in to make the cool images, so I guess i'll leave all the fun to you guys :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Actually if you start from the main picture and point somewhere, you zoom into the field. You don't need to know what you're doing, just enjoy the ride.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Very cool. One critique, if I may - many of the better Fractal generators I've played with have a "smooth zooming" feature, rather than just doing a zoom to a particular level instantaneously. I've also been using XaoS, and it works in the manner I'm describing if you need something to compare yours to. Either way, it looks like Fractalworks has a lot of potential and I'll be sure to check in now and then to see how it's coming along.

OP
D
Reaction score
Very cool. One critique, if I may - many of the better Fractal generators I've played with have a "smooth zooming" feature, rather than just doing a zoom to a particular level instantaneously. I've also been using XaoS, and it works in the manner I'm describing if you need something to compare yours to. Either way, it looks like Fractalworks has a lot of potential and I'll be sure to check in now and then to see how it's coming along.

The live zooming feature in XAOS is nothing short of amazing. It's on my list of future enhancements, to be sure.

My next major feature, though, is going to be 3D rendering, using distance estimates to generate a height map. I'm planning to support directional lighting and shadows. Once I get that done, I'm going to add the ability to generate high resolution movies, in either 2D or 3D. (panning and zooming, plus "julia walks")

Then I'll probably do a pass polishing the UI. It needs undo, and the various dialogs need clarification.

Duncan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Okay.. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing.. But, I tried adjusting the plot numbers and got some very basic designs or just solid black.white backgrounds..

What am I doing wrong here?

OP
D
Reaction score
Max iterations, deep zooming

I've started to play with it, and I'm impressed. Two things come to mind on what I'd be happy to see.

1. Number of iterations is limited for deep zooming, though the limit of 65535 yields very nice plots. I'd love to see something in the million range, though that should be balanced on what is meaningful to the program. If cpu cycles are being wasted, then less iterations would be fine. I'm used to the old DOS program fractint, which was designed for very deep zooming. At present I use XaoS as my fractal viewer, which does not support deep zooming, but has lots of nice features.
Lots of other apps throw away the iteration count and save the fractal as a color image. Fractalworks actually saves the iteration data so you can change the display colors at will. I decided to use 16 bit values for iteration count, which limits me to 65535 colors.

I've thought about having an option for using 32 bits for iteration counts, which would give a max iteration count of around 16 million. It would make the files roughly double in size, however. Thanks for letting me know this is important to you.

Something else I need to add is an option for extended precision. FractalWorks uses 64 bit double precision for it's floating point calculations because this is what the floating point chips on Macs uses. However, this limits the maximum magnification you can use. At around 5e-14, floating point errors start to degrade the image. The cost of this option would be that plotting would be MUCH slower.

2. When choosing a new fractal, the default starting values should allow for the base Mandelbrot set position. Sometimes I just like to restart from "home."
Hmm. I also sometimes want to "go home." How would you suggest putting this in the user interface? A "plot whole mandelbrot set" button?

Frankly I like to interactively change the fractal as I'm zooming and panning, but I guess I could always zoom out, choose a new point, and zoom in on that. I can also "create a new fractal" if I want to change the number of iterations.
How do you mean "interactively change the fractal as I'm zooming and panning"? Change the number of iterations? Or zoom in and out dynamically? You can hold down the option key while clicking to zoom out. Or do you mean the ability to change max iterations and other settings from a floating tool palette or something?

I would ultimately like to have live zooming like XAOS, but that will take some doing. Getting that to work in real time is very tricky, and XAOS is nothing short of amazing for that.
It seems to be a very good program. I'm impressed.

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. By all means, post additional suggestions.

One thing I've been thinking of adding is the ability to enter plot coordinates by their corners rather than by center and width. (Some references, like "The Beauty of Fractals," give their plot coordinates using the corners.) I'm not sure if anybody else wants that, however, and the UI for it is tricky, because you can create "stretched" plots if the aspect ratio of the complex rectangle and the pixel rectangle don't match.

Regards,

Duncan C.

Reaction score
Great program Duncan :) Thank You for creating it.

Curious, how long did it take to create it?

OP
D
Reaction score
How long FractalWorks took to create

Great program Duncan :) Thank You for creating it.

Curious, how long did it take to create it?

Poet,

Thanks for the kind words.

FractalWorks is a "work in progress." I'm STILL working on it.

It's a part time project, and I started on it a little over a year ago. I wasn't able to work on it at all for several months this summer.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's taken about 2 person-months, all told.

Duncan C.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Hmm. I also sometimes want to "go home." How would you suggest putting this in the user interface? A "plot whole mandelbrot set" button?

Use the browser metaphor - perhaps a "Home" button to go back to the original parameters, and/or "Back" button to go back a level.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.