I like... I like to be like Schweb!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
...and Fleurya... and many others. :D

I bought my first dSLR this weekend! (the Canon XTi)

I'm pretty excited, though the manual settings seem a bit overwhelming to learn.. but I have time.

Any tutorials out their that are XTi specific?

Any suggestions on purchasing my first non-kit lens?

I hope to be posting images in this forum more often. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
You had me worried for a sec :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd love a DSlR as well...
I've thought about selling my Panasonic TZ-3 (Could get around €300,- on eBay) and getting a Canon XTi / 400D. But I think I'd find it too bulky to take with me everywhere, plus I wouldn't have a lot of money to spend on lenses anyway.

Maybe I'll upgrade to the Lumix LX3 for a taste of manual controls whenever it's released instead.

Reaction score
go on flickr and start reading is the best advice find the groups you love and thing your in to as well and learn how to do it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hero worship.... it is just so ... embarrassing! :D

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hero worship.... it is just so ... embarrassing! :D

lol!!!!

fozthedevil said:
go on flickr and start reading is the best advice find the groups you love and thing your in to as well and learn how to do it

Flickr is a good idea! thanks!

Aptmunich said:
I'd love a DSlR as well...
I've thought about selling my Panasonic TZ-3 (Could get around €300,- on eBay) and getting a Canon XTi / 400D. But I think I'd find it too bulky to take with me everywhere, plus I wouldn't have a lot of money to spend on lenses anyway.
The funny thing is I returned my TZ3, and got this 400D/XTi instead... You are correct.. it is a lot more bulky... but I am really looking forward to learning the manual controls, and adding lenses, etc.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you want to learn manual controls, you can borrow my 38 year old canon. :D

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
you want to learn manual controls, you can borrow my 38 year old canon. :D

Nice!!!! lol.

It's a bit daunting, but I'm hoping it will pay off in the future.

I'm SICK of "paying" for FREE desktop wallpaper!!!!! I'm going to make my own!!!! ;)

M

MacHeadCase

These might help you get started, Digital Photography Tutorials. They won't tell you how to use the manual controls of your camera but they can help you understand some settings and what they're for, how to use the shutter on your lens. etc.

Look at the owner's manual, it gives you an idea of what the settings are for, how to change them, etc.

Enjoy! Digital SLR cameras

That should keep you busy for a while. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Nice!!!! lol.

It's a bit daunting, but I'm hoping it will pay off in the future.

I'm SICK of "paying" for FREE desktop wallpaper!!!!! I'm going to make my own!!!! ;)

Basic manual mode tutorial I have written:
http://www.photography.macintalk.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=195

First non-kit lens:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

It's a 50mm prime lens, but has a wide aperture at f/1.8. It's $75 right now on B&H and is probably one of the best valued lenses out there.

If you want quality and zoom, you can get the Canon 70-200 f/4L. One of the sharpest lenses that Canon makes and one of the cheapest L lenses. Down side? About $650 new. May be expensive for some one who just bought a $650 camera.

Reaction score
Congrats man, I used to have the original XT, and it was a pretty decent camera. I now have a 5D, but I'm glad to hear you went with Canon. Just keep practicing with it, you'll start getting the hang of things.

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Thank you all!!!

I have lots of reading to do! reading = learning :D

I'm going to try and get some shots today... I'll post when I have them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Learning to meter the light in a scene takes time, there are many different lighting scenarios you will come across, and there's a few different techniques you can use to decide on the right exposure. A good way to start would be to change the metering mode on your camera to "Partial" now your camera will only meter light from a 9% circle in the centre of your frame.

So as you find something interesting to photograph, say a landscape scene, you need to decide on a rough composition first, then take a look at what is in your frame, what light sources are present? What are the darkest and brightest parts of the scene you have chosen? What part of the scene you have chosen has average light values? You then have to consider what is most important in the scene, depth of field or capturing motion in sharp detail, this will mostly determine whether to lock down the aperture and adjust the shutter speed to suit, or vice versa.

This is why you will eventually figure out the need for faster and sharper lenses, and the 50mm f1.8 mentioned by Village Idiot above is a good place to start, a cheap lens indeed considering its sharpness and speed.

With time and many photographs, you will improve at seeing light, and being able to "Read" a scene or time of day without even looking through the camera or relying on its light meter. A good metering technique to start with that works with a lot of general photography is to meter with your camera the brightest part of your image, then change your exposure accordingly so that the brightest part of the image is reading at around 2 stops over, this way you retain detail in the brightest parts of the image, while also getting a decent exposure for the rest of the scene. Its how I meter most often, and is a good way to get a good base exposure, then adjust as necessary from there.

All the best with learning to use the 400D, the more time you spend with it, and the more you shoot and analyze you images, the faster you will pick up on how light works with your camera.

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Learning to meter the light in a scene takes time, there are many different lighting scenarios you will come across, and there's a few different techniques you can use to decide on the right exposure. A good way to start would be to change the metering mode on your camera to "Partial" now your camera will only meter light from a 9% circle in the centre of your frame.

So as you find something interesting to photograph, say a landscape scene, you need to decide on a rough composition first, then take a look at what is in your frame, what light sources are present? What are the darkest and brightest parts of the scene you have chosen? What part of the scene you have chosen has average light values? You then have to consider what is most important in the scene, depth of field or capturing motion in sharp detail, this will mostly determine whether to lock down the aperture and adjust the shutter speed to suit, or vice versa.

This is why you will eventually figure out the need for faster and sharper lenses, and the 50mm f1.8 mentioned by Village Idiot above is a good place to start, a cheap lens indeed considering its sharpness and speed.

With time and many photographs, you will improve at seeing light, and being able to "Read" a scene or time of day without even looking through the camera or relying on its light meter. A good metering technique to start with that works with a lot of general photography is to meter with your camera the brightest part of your image, then change your exposure accordingly so that the brightest part of the image is reading at around 2 stops over, this way you retain detail in the brightest parts of the image, while also getting a decent exposure for the rest of the scene. Its how I meter most often, and is a good way to get a good base exposure, then adjust as necessary from there.

All the best with learning to use the 400D, the more time you spend with it, and the more you shoot and analyze you images, the faster you will pick up on how light works with your camera.

Wow!!! thank you! Very informative! I appreciate your post!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Thanks Ride, but if you saw some of my shots, you probably would reconsider that comment. :p MHC's recommendation of "Enjoy! Digital SLR Cameras" is exactly what I thought of when I read your post. It's a good start at the basics and Canon-specific from what I remember.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned already, look up a couple of books: "Learning to See Creatively" and "Understanding Exposure". Both are written by Bryan Peterson and are highly recommended by many photographers.

Also, a very good forum at this site: http://photography-on-the.net/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
RIDE....congrats!

I have to admit I was a little afraid when I saw the thread title. ;)

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
RIDE....congrats!

I have to admit I was a little afraid when I saw the thread title. ;)

:D I lost an auction on eBay in the last few seconds for a really cool Schweb costume. It came with the M-F Macworld '08 badge and all. The thing sold for over $1,300... and I had made a promise to my wife not to bide over $1,100 for it. :( Oh well .. maybe next time right :D

Thanks Schweb and Fleurya!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Except I believe (but I may be wrong) that the xti is only capable of average metering and not spot metering.

Edit: I just checked dpreview and I think that they say that the xti is only capable of partial metering.

OP
RiDE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Except I believe (but I may be wrong) that the xti is only capable of average metering and not spot metering.

Edit: I just checked dpreview and I think that they say that the xti is only capable of partial metering.

I can actually choose from "Evaluative Metering"... "Partial metering".. and "Center-weighted Average Metering" in the P, Tv, Av, M, and A-Dep modes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I can actually choose from "Evaluative Metering"... "Partial metering".. and "Center-weighted Average Metering" in the P, Tv, Av, M, and A-Dep modes.

Spot metering is where the camera gauges the light over a certain spot, usually which ever the AF point is directed to.

So if you set the AF point to the very right point, it will only meter off of that point and not an average reading. I can be helpful, but it's not necessary. Photographers have been taking pictures without built in light meters for years and they seem to have been doing a pretty good job with out having any in camera meter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.