Is 1GB enough?

Reaction score
Is 1GB going to be enough to use, iTunes, Safari or Firefox, Maybe photoshop and a few other programs?

k3s

Reaction score
I would say yes. But im not sure.
At school we use macbooks with 1 gig and it runs photoshop smoothly.

Reaction score
You'll get by just fine with 1, but you would probably notice a difference if you went up to 2GB.

Reaction score
iTunes, Safari, and Firefox will run just fine on 1 GB. Photoshop, depends what you want to do. If you're the casual, once-in-a-while amateur photo editor, then you'll get by with 1 GB okay. If you need to work with a lot of photos, or plan to do some heavy photo editing, you'll probably want the noticeable difference you'll get with 2GB. If you're not sure, like you said, you can always buy more RAM later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Why limit yourself at 1gig? I just bought 4gigs of ram for my IMac to upgrade it from Kingston and it cost under $100 for all 4 gigs of matched ram. Ram is virtually free. May as well get a good amount.

Reaction score
1 gig is okay, 2 gig is good for you though, 1 gig may be sluggish.
4gig is always good if you're doing lots of heavy photo/ music/ video work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iTouch, iPad, iPhone 3GS..waiting for iPhone5 or 6?
sounds like I need to upgrade lol I run PS all the time but it doesn't run slow on 1gb... I can have internet open, some applications PS, LR and bridge.. runs well, but hey nothing wrong with faster ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I will agree with the above. 1 GB did just fine for me on my imac. But getting the one more really sped up everything. App launching times, photoshop rendering times, and the whole seemed snappier.

2 GB isn't an actual need. But quite nice to have. 3 or 4 for me might be a little overkill for what most people need. But if you can get ram these days at less than $100 Australian for 1GB (imac ram) then it's cheap enough to get as much as you need or want.

Reaction score
1 gb should be ok, but just barely if you are running several programs at once. firefox also tends to use up more ram as you open and close tabs over the course of browsing, so you could restart the program or close the program if it is slowing everything else down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Ram

Got mine from Crucial. Cheap, works perfect and was shipped quickly.

Reaction score
Sorry a little bit OT but it's RAM related.. I have recently switched over to Apple and have installed some new RAM. I also installed a widget which lets me check how much of the RAM has been used/free. The RAM status says:
Wired: 597MB
Active: 978MB
Inactive: 161MB
Free: 2.29GB

Can someone please tell me what these figures mean and does the "Free" memory ever go up? I have only seen it go from 3.25GB down to 2.29GB but hasn't gone back up. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107918

That article should help you explain it all.
And if you ever have any swap memory. It's like the old virtual memory from OS 9. But it's only ever used when you have used all of your actual memory and then the hard disc space is being used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Ram memory is so cheap these days, it's worth the investment to upgrade over the long term. I got 4GB from Crucial, and installed it on my iMac right out of the box.

To me, running only 1GB in a new iMac is like putting 87 octane gas in a Ferrari. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.