• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Compact Fluorescents Question

Reaction score
If a compact fluorescent tube of 13 watts puts out light equal to that of a 60-watt incandescent bulb, would it be safe to use a compact fluorescent equal to a 100- or 150-watt incandescent in a light socket that warns not to exceed 60 watts?

I'd like to brighten a couple of places in the house while using the existing hardware, but I'd feel more comfortable risking burning the place down in summer than in the deep depths of winter. :)

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Yes. Fluorescent bulbs generate much less heat than incandescents. Excess heat is the main concern for those "do not exceed..." warnings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I use CFLs wherever I can. However I still much prefer the light from incandescent bulbs, CFLs just look weird and I've tried alot of the "soft light" ones and none are really great.

Hopefully this super energy efficient incandescent GE is working on becomes a reality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
as long as you do not exceed the 60 watt rating of the lamp. i use compact flourescents all over the house and i also like incandescent lighting when i really need to concentrate on looking at something.

OP
B
Reaction score
Excess heat is the main concern for those "do not exceed..." warnings.
Thanks. I thought it was more of a power-draw issue rather than heat.
. . . CFLs just look weird and I've tried alot of the "soft light" ones and none are really great.
Yeah. I've got a few cool whites here and there, obtained before I realized that if the blister packs have no hint of the colour, the light resembles that of incandescents. The cool whites make people look like they've been pulled out of a morgue drawer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
I think the blister packaging is doing much more harm to the environment than the compact fluorescents are saving. Especially when the packaging is about twice the size it needs to be and I expend far more energy trying to open the thing and healing the cuts I get from the packaging itself than any light bulb could ever burn. Blister packaging = true evil.

Anyway, you get used to the CF bulbs eventually, though they never look truly white. They look more green/yellowish. If it will save the world I guess it will do it. Should I change the tailights in my car from mini incandescents to super compact fluorescents? I'm afraid the world might be totally destroyed if I don't. Boom.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.