Tracking Marks + Bleed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I've designed a fold-out brochure for my church, it was sent off to the printers but they requested I put tracking marks and bleed on it. I said sure, no problem, just wait till I figure out how. I have a vague idea of what they're asking but not sure how to go about it. Could someone give me some pointers? Thanks =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
what was it designed in?
If it was Indesign or Quark, then it's dead easy. Illustrator can also do this fairly easily.

Just so you know-

Bleed - this is where the any image that runs to the edge of the page, exceeds the document margins. This ensure that once the document is cut, no white areas appear, and also allows for any slight misalignment in cutting.

For the other one, maybe you mean trim marks? These are thin (usually 0.25pt, registration) lines outside the document and bleed, and are used as guides for cutting. Just so you know, you may also need fold marks, which are the same weight as the trim, only a dashed line.

Been a while since I used Quark, but Indesign allows you to do this automatically when you're exporting your PDF (I think it's titled 'printer marks, or output options in the PDF export window). I'd imagine Quark would be pretty similar to Indesign.
Illustrator has a feature that draws them for you, but doesn't really give you the same control.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.