Macbook vs Macbook Pro??

Reaction score
I am planning on buying a new mac soon. I do a lot of digital photography (photoshop CS3 and lightroom), but may also do video (probably adobe premiere and After effects and maybe even Flash. This is where I've been going back and forth the most. I am not sure if the Macbook will be able to run After Effects or Flash well with good render times when doing 3D things. The Macbook I like because of its size and the price, but don't like the lack of no dedicated graphics card. I like the Macbook Pro because it seems much more powerful and it also says "PRO" on it, but the price is kind of up there. If I do do video editing I will be using an HD camera. Also I will not always do video editing on the go because I have the quad at home, but it would be nice to have when out and about.The main purpose of the computer is Photography but I would like to expand to video? So what do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
if money is not a problem; then go for the MBP. Its dedicated video card is helpful for what you intend to use the notebook for. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the MB could handle those tasks, but not as good as a MBP would!

OP
D
Reaction score
Would editing High Res photos be good on a 13.3" screen? Also would the Macbook be able to run for example Photoshop, LightRoom, and Safari all at the same time without any speed decrease?

Thanks

Reaction score
It all depends on RAM with multitasking PS, Safari, and LightRoom... 2 GB is good for that. A MB can handle it. If you are into real music/ video editing on the go, MBP is for you. And photos should look fine on the 13.3" screen. If you are uncertain, go for the 15" pro.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Good question! I was wondering when someone would finally ask that!

I would go with the Pro in your situation, especially if you are doing 3D or video. BlackHawk forgets that a graphics card and processor come in handy when processing graphics. ;)

Photos will look good on a 13" screen, but they will look bigger on a 17" screen. A bigger monitor is better if you are editing graphics or doing any back-and-forth multitasking like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook | Core2Duo 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 120GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2
I can't really say anything about video editing/rendering with the MB as I don't use mine for that purpose. That being said, I'm sure the MB will meet its requirements, but probably won't perform actions as quickly as if you had an MBP as a4_abt already mentioned.

I am using my MB mainly for Dreamweaver CS3, Flash CS3, and Photoshop CS3 (usually running concurrently along with iTunes, Messenger, FF, Mail, etc.) and I've not experienced any slowdowns -- which I contribute to my 4GB ram (an inexpensive upgrade that i *highly* recommend).

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok thanks for all of your help, probably the wrong place to post but you guys have been so helpful and I don't want to start a new thread because I tired and lazy. Do you think the Macbook Pro would be able to drive two 1080p 40- 42 Inch TV's displaying the same picture at the same time?

Once again thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.