LOL @ 1.1.3 iPhone update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33 ghz, 15 inch, 3gb ram.
So I just installed my v. 1.1.3 update for my iPhone, I must say, I'm just a tiny bit disappointed. I mean, talk about an update that offers you hardly anything. The one feature I was excited about was the google map "locate me." After trying this out, I quickly realized the excitement was not necessary. I'm in a city and it puts me in a circle of around 1 square mile. How useful is it to know where you are if it puts your location at half the city. I know it's using cell phone tower triangulation but come on, the entire thing is practically useless for inner city directions and starting routes from "your current location." Sad day in iPhone land, I was so excited too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i was excited about the new maps features but as of now i am located in scenic cant be found

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
Does it break ring tones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You can make your own legit ringtones with Garageband if you're smart enough to buy DRM-free music. :)

As for the update, it's ok. I like the hybrid map, multiple messaging and setting bookmarks on the home screen. Too bad they can't at least let you change the background in some way; a little color at least!

As for the iPhone's overall progress, I have to say I'm quite disappointed. I thought Apple would have a slew of interesting apps just waiting to be slowly introduced into the market, but 6 months later and nothing! For something so potentially powerful, it is feeling awfully limited. I guess that'll change soon enough when the SDK is released though.

EDIT: A friend just called me who I had a custom ringtone made in Garageband assigned to and it played the standard ringtone!! I'll have to do some investigating to see what happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
I am waiting on the SDK too.

Reaction score
As for Maps it pin pointed my location I have to say I was a mazed. I live in NYC. Do keep in mind I think it nailed my location do to my IP address on my wireless network with I was out at a local shop the location was open to about a 1/4 mile. I want Apps for the phone on the phone NOT Web Apps. One thing that I am sure is on all our wish lists is Flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMAC; iPAD; iPHONE 4s; iPOD Classics; Time Machine
where can i find the update? is it even out yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
all of my custom ringtones are still there so I am assuming it is fine. I didn't make them with garageband, i used a program called MakeiPhoneRingtones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
If you use iToner, your ringtones are gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
EDIT: A friend just called me who I had a custom ringtone made in Garageband assigned to and it played the standard ringtone!! I'll have to do some investigating to see what happened.

mine did this before on 1.1.2.

some people it would ring the selected GB ringtone, others it would ring default.

odd

my phone has yet to crash. 1.1.2 was ridiculous.

lets see what the coming days bring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV

Well good news is my Garageband ringtones still work. I had to go in a reassign the custom ringtones to my contacts, even though it showed they were already assigned.

A couple people on Gizmodo are saying you can now drag and drop music onto your iPhone just like you can with other iPods is you erase you iPhone files first. I tried it and it didn't work for me. If it really does work for someone else, let me know. I'm guessing they're lying because Steve probably would have mentioned it in the keynote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13inch white 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM
I was using iToner and after the update my ringtones are there but the wont play. Hmm.

Reaction score
Multi-person texting... yeehaw.. Lets see AT&T pull the stick outta their faces and let the iPhone send and receive MMS. Cheap "children without fathers" (yes, "children without fathers", do the math)... I have the gorgeous 16:9 screen that plays movies in incredible detail, but I have to look at a crappy, shrunken version of any image sent to me on an AT&T website. And APPLE!!! Tell me why I could record video with every phone I've owned for the past 3 years... and now that I have a phone with an 8GB hd built in and a camera that has HD quality imaging.... I CAN'T RECORD VIDEO!!!! Lets get some REAL updates going... </rant>

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree completely with you eap33, no MMS is one of the biggest pains in the world. I don't know how many times I've received the "I've sent you a multimedia message, you can view your message at viewmymessage.com with the following code and password."

PS "if you aren't currently on a wifi network this task will take a ridiculously long time due to our lack of a 3G network."

All I know is, if you're looking for something close and want to know where it is within relation to you in a city, it just isn't happening.
"Ah yessssss, it appears I am either 1 foot or half a mile away from that starbucks, perfect!"

I also agree with the background. Back in my old phone days, when you placed a picture as a wallpaper, it stayed on the background of your phone. It would be nice to have some theme or pattern choices rather than boring black.

Ciscom23, I found the update by clicking "check for updates" under the iphone section of itunes. Also, if you click "check for itune updates," it should tell you v7.6 is out as well as v1.1.3 for iphone.

Fortunately, many of these things are fixable with simple firmware/software updates.... unfortunately, unless there is a rapid advancement in cell tower triangulation technology among att and apple, there will be nothing better for the google maps, if only they would have installed one of those really fancy acronym thingies... wait, it will come to me.... oh yes... GPS!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ohh, one more quick question, I'm taking a class called acronyms 101 at my university and we haven't ran across SDK yet. Anyone want to fill me in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Software Development Kit. It's pretty much a bunch of tools and documentation on how to develop software for a particular OS and/or device.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
How / Where do you download the iphone update?

I ran software update on my mac with the iphone attached but my iphone works just like before.

Reaction score
viewmymessage.com is painfully slow no matter how I access it. It's not the phone; it's the site that doesn't load fast. It's slow from my desktop connected to a gigabit network. Of course all Internet connections are only as fast as teh slowest connection between your system and the remote system. They are probably serving the site from an EDGE connection. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
I'm liking it so far, especially the drag and drop

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.