• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Untold Story: How the iPhone Blew Up the Wireless Industry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
The Untold Story: How the iPhone Blew Up the Wireless Industry
By Fred Vogelstein 01.09.08 | 9:00 PM

ff_iphone3_630.jpg

Photo: Landov

The demo was not going well.
Again.

It was a late morning in the fall of 2006. Almost a year earlier, Steve Jobs had tasked about 200 of Apple's top engineers with creating the iPhone. Yet here, in Apple's boardroom, it was clear that the prototype was still a disaster. It wasn't just buggy, it flat-out didn't work. The phone dropped calls constantly, the battery stopped charging before it was full, data and applications routinely became corrupted and unusable. The list of problems seemed endless. At the end of the demo, Jobs fixed the dozen or so people in the room with a level stare and said, "We don't have a product yet."

The effect was even more terrifying than one of Jobs' trademark tantrums. When the Apple chief screamed at his staff, it was scary but familiar. This time, his relative calm was unnerving. "It was one of the few times at Apple when I got a chill," says someone who was in the meeting. Read more...

[Via Wired]

It is a huge article but is one of the most fascinating ones I've read in quite some time. Don't miss it if you're even slightly interested in the iPhone. :) - Aayush

Credits go to my friend Aayush for finding this one. I hope it's not a double post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I read this last week, it's an interesting article. In some ways, it's just simple another example of Apple turning an industry on it's head, which it did with the desktop computer, MP3 market and now the phone market. The biggest impact (as previously) isn't the gadget itself, but the change it forces within the space it occupies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I read this last week, it's an interesting article. In some ways, it's just simple another example of Apple turning an industry on it's head, which it did with the desktop computer, MP3 market and now the phone market. The biggest impact (as previously) isn't the gadget itself, but the change it forces within the space it occupies.

I agree about MP3 players and the iPhone, but not about the desktop computer. The other two devices pretty much took the markets by storm and dominated their respective categories, while Apple's computers almost completely tanked at one point in history and are continuously climbing up in market share. Not really turning the market upside down there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm thinking he means more along the lines of when the desktop computer first came out rather than more recently. Apple essentially created the desktop computer. If it weren't for Apple, we would still have a bunch of proprietary systems that don't work well together.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
A very interesting read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I don't quite agree that the iPhone has turned the mobile phone world on it's head, not yet anyway. Tons of potential that I'm just waiting for them to build on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.