Is belkin the worst router company ever???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I have had this wireless router for three months and have had nothing but headaches with it. It constantly crashes and the only reliable way it will work is wired (which defeats the point of wireless).

I have called tech support but it's in India and I cant understand them. There has never been a new firmware update and when I write tech support they give me obvious ideas (reset the router,etc). Is there anything I can do or have I pretty much bought a lemon wireless router and am stuck with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Which model do you have? I have a Belkin and have had no problems with it at all.......

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the F5D9230-4 G Plus MIMO router/paperweight

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Some Belkin's seem quite good and some like yours. A friend got a low end Belkin and had the same WiFi going down issues you are having. What model do you have?

Netgear has some pretty bad tech support also in india. I never deal with Tech support except for AT&T when their DSL goes down, then you have to call them if you want internet!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some Belkin's seem quite good and some like yours. A friend got a low end Belkin and had the same WiFi going down issues you are having. What model do you have?

Netgear has some pretty bad tech support also in india. I never deal with Tech support except for AT&T when their DSL goes down, then you have to call them if you want internet!

Wow I am glad I don't have AT&T/.

Here's the page : http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D9230-4&aid=8593&scid=222

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I have a Belkin N series ....... the only problems I've had is my ISP going down but have never had the router go down.

Can you exchange it perhaps? or is it too late.....

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it's too late. I just wrote them to see if I can send it in since it has a "lifetime warranty." I dont have the box or receipt but registered it when I got it

Gaz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHz / Mac Mini 1.66 GHz
how did you pay for it? using a card will mean you should have an account of it's purchase in your statements, in which case that can be used as a receipt. if they don't accept it, sue them.

i've never had a problem with belkin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As you say the router is advertised with this 'lifetime warranty'. If you registered at the time of purchase they should have you on file. Let's know how the warranty issue goes.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As you say the router is advertised with this 'lifetime warranty'. If you registered at the time of purchase they should have you on file. Let's know how the warranty issue goes.

Will do. And,no, I am not going to sue them. :D

*edit*

Well, I woke up this morning and turned on the router. It wasn't working for about 20 minutes and then everything came back. I am connected wirelessly as of right now but am not sure how long it will last. Another weird thing is that it remembered all my settings too...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 895LL/A - 15.4" Santa Rosa C2D - 2GB RAM - 120 (onboard), 500GB ext FW/eSATA/USB2 HDDs
Re: Belkin Wireless N

I also have a wireless N setup for my MBP 2.2 Santa Rosa.. it's the
F5D-8233-4 (the N MIMO router). The problem I'm having with it is that it will hold a wireless connection for my three Windows-based PCs (two running XP, one running Vista) but not for my MBP. The only way I can seem to hold a connection is a direct ether 5e cable to the router (again, defeating the whole point of being "wireless"). I tried contacting their tech support, but oh boy, the guy *was* in India, and he *was* pushing me off the phone (was probably time for him to either a) go home, 2) eat, or d) ignore the customer... so I'm combing the forums like a madman to find an answer... hellllp!

------------------------
MBP N00bness Maximus: MBP 2.2 C2D, Leopard 10.5.1, Belkin F5D-8233-4
N MIMO...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I bought a powered USB hub from them after a very disappointing experience with a much cheaper one. The one I bought is supposed to be among the best on the market, but it's already flaking out on me. It stops working randomly and once in a while I'll get a "disk removal" message about the HDs I have attached to it, even though I have done absolutely nothing to make them disconnect.

Unfortunately, I'm still using it because I'm at a complete loss on where to get a more reliable USB hub.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I bought a powered USB hub from them after a very disappointing experience with a much cheaper one. The one I bought is supposed to be among the best on the market, but it's already flaking out on me. It stops working randomly and once in a while I'll get a "disk removal" message about the HDs I have attached to it, even though I have done absolutely nothing to make them disconnect.

Unfortunately, I'm still using it because I'm at a complete loss on where to get a more reliable USB hub.

Maybe you got a dud. I have 3 Belkin USB Hubs and never an issue. The one I use all the time is the 7-Port with the two ports on the top. Used it for a year now and never an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
See even the threat of a warranty claim made the little devil sit up and toe the line!

Good luck with it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also have a wireless N setup for my MBP 2.2 Santa Rosa.. it's the
F5D-8233-4 (the N MIMO router). The problem I'm having with it is that it will hold a wireless connection for my three Windows-based PCs (two running XP, one running Vista) but not for my MBP. The only way I can seem to hold a connection is a direct ether 5e cable to the router (again, defeating the whole point of being "wireless"). I tried contacting their tech support, but oh boy, the guy *was* in India, and he *was* pushing me off the phone (was probably time for him to either a) go home, 2) eat, or d) ignore the customer... so I'm combing the forums like a madman to find an answer... hellllp!

glad to see I am not the only one with these issues with the MIMO routers

Well, it died again for most of the day today. I couldn't get a stable connection and my laptop said it had weak signal strength and it was only three feet away from it. It's working now but it will probably fail again. No word from Belkin either. I have a Belkin powered USB hub that works great. However it's only 1.1 and quickly became outdated.

*edit*

2 minutes after posting this it crashed again. I had to do a hard restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
One of my sisters and 2 of my friends have belkin wireless routers, to glance at, they all look to be the same model - not really paid that much attention to them.

All three of them have wifi issues - the things just seem to stop wanting to be wireless routers.

In all 3 cases they need to shut the thing off, just for a second but a 'restart' is often needed to get it all working again.

I'm not saying it happens every hour, when I'm at my sisters for the weekend it might happen once in 48 hours.

I'll check on the model(s) later as I'm not sure what they use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.