• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Dyslexic?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
Well I am 14 and when I was younger I was dyslexic in spelling and I was wondering how many other user had that problem when they were younger or if they still have it?
I still kinder struggle with spelling but the mac spell checker is the key to that ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I used to stutter when I was younger. They say its because the part of the brain that generates thoughts is faster than the part that controls your voice... kinda like a buffer overflow problem.

I'm much better now. Either or some of these may have happened:
  • My brain slowed down
  • My voice mechanism sped up
  • I'm less a spaz than before

Reaction score
I was smart when i was younger, top of the class guys, now i'm older I have mild dyslexia and discalculus, priorities have changed to social (the way it should be).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am the best (of everyone I know) at solving spacial problem... like fitting odd shaped boxes into an area. And also word jumbles. I just look at the jumble and word pops into my inner voice. Weird. Maybe it's related.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
I used to stutter when I was younger. They say its because the part of the brain that generates thoughts is faster than the part that controls your voice... kinda like a buffer overflow problem.

I'm much better now. Either or some of these may have happened:
  • My brain slowed down
  • My voice mechanism sped up
  • I'm less a spaz than before

i do that now, my brain goes faster then i talk so i talk really fast, sometimes mumble, and i stutter,, pretty hard, but when im typing its all good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I'm a visual-spatial person, and have Asperger's Syndrome on top of everything else. All of this together really works well wrt math, as it's easy to work with 3D geometric systems. (Actually, it's pretty easy to work with 4D concepts (w-axis, NOT time). Dig on special and general relativity for awhile, and you'll either go nuts or start seeing curved space-time with a 4D twist.) While I'm not dyslexic, I do have the occasional dyslexic faux pas.

Here's a link to a resource on visual-spatial learners.

http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/Visual_Spatial_Learner/vsl.htm

Reaction score
you know, I have something similar. For example if I see a blue car, I will often confuse it, and call it as if it was green, If I were to tell a person that. It happens to anything. If the thing it blue, I might cal it green, if it is green, I might call it blue. I wonder what category this falls in. I also think I might have slight form of OCD. For me, the number 4 is all over the place, how many corners are in the monitor you are seeing this? How many corners in a window? door? how many limbs do you have? Brett Favre's number? (My favorite NFL player,) that's right four. Guess how many times I have to save a document in neooffice? You guess it, four, if I do not do that I feel the urge to save it four times. I do not know why...

Reaction score
James-

I was Dyslexic when I was a kid. I remember when I was absolutely convinced that the 2 and the 5 on a digital clock were the exact same number. Needless to say, I was always really early or really late.

I eventually outgrew it. Now I'm always on time. :D

Gaz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHz / Mac Mini 1.66 GHz
it's not something that goes away as you grow older, it's something you have to live with all your life.

you will always be effected by it, but of course as you grow older you learn to live with it.

When i was 9 i was diagnosed with dyslexia, and moved to a school with a department which specialized in helping students with learning needs. teachers at my previous school said i would never take a GCSE, but with hard work from my self, my family and the school, i'm not at uni. it's defiantly not something that is bad, and can be good in a way. my spelling, reading and writing is still poor, compared to people of my age. but i'm not exactly stupid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
I have Dyslexia (Along with other learning difficulties Semi-Deaf)but have got used to it and am trying hard at school so i can take my GCSE's without having a TA with me so i feel like i done it by myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Don't have dyslexia or anything like that.

But as soon as an idea or concept pops in to my head, or I hear someone say something my mind just goes off on a tangent. It's always linked in some weird way to the original idea but in a totally unpractical way.

My friends often say "he's gone off to Louisville again"

PS why is dyslexia so difficult to spell

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because a Dyslexic thought of the name maybe thats all i can think of no one has ever told me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This must be the most interesting thread i've read so far. It is so neat to see all of our problems. Everyone seems so perfect otherwise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The term 'dyslexia' was coined in 1887 by Rudolf Berlin, an ophthalmologist practicing in Stuttgart, Germany. He used the term to refer to a case of a young boy who had a severe impairment in learning to read and write in spite of showing typical intellectual and physical abilities in all other respects.

Wikipedia

The word comes from Greek and means word impaired

The word comes from Greek and means Word impaired

Perhaps Microsoft is Dyslexic then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL Microsoft as a dyslexic funny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I'm not a good typist. But I often spell the same words wrongly in the same wrong way if that makes sense For example if I type vehicle it nearly always comes out hevilce. The are quite a few words that I commonly spell wrongly.

OP
James-
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
I spell things how it sounds. like when I was alot younger I spelt because as becoz as thats what it sounds like! Dyslexic is really hard to spell my attempt was dislexic but the mac told be off and corrected it for me :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I think I have a little bit of OCD. Volume on the TV has to be certain numbers (30,35,40,45,50...) multiples of 5 i think they are called. Sometimes I see the light switches and they all have to be facing down. I count things sometimes too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I wonder how many more people would read this thread if it was titled:

?cixelsyD

;)

Ok, I apologize for that one up front.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.