Connected to Network But No Internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4GHz Intel Core2 Duo... 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I'm a PC convert... and proud to say it!... I have a MBP and have been using Airport successfully until yesterday. I am connected to the Network, but when i open my browser it says "you are not connected to the Internet".... not sure what happened, but i know the router is working because i am on a PC using the wireless... any ideas? HELP!... thanks!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So i'm connected to my network.. i got full bars, but when i open up a browser it says "You are not connected to the internet."... i tried to diagnose the problem, but know luck!... any ideas?..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
anyone have any ideas on this?... its getting really annoying. I travel alot and need to use lost of different wireless networks and it really sucks not being able to use them... almost (almost is a key word here) makes me wish i was back on windows... i could at least connect to the internet.. seems like a huge waste of money on something that can only connect when it feels like it.. really sucks.. apple is really starting to dissappoint...

Reaction score
Is this for your home network or all random networks (wifi cafes, etc)?

Are you using any wifi security?

Which wireless router are you using?

Any changes to your router configuration before this issue happened?

Have you gone to a Authorized Service Provider or Apple Store and got help from a Genius?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its primarily just going to friends houses... at my residence all i do is reset my router everytime i return home.. which i shouldn't have too do, but its no big deal. I then go to my friends houses and things work great at first and then they just stop working. I spend an awful lot of time at my girlfriends house and can't connect... i visited two friends this weekend and same issuses.. but everyone that had windows machines had big smiles while i just scratched my head... I ill be heading out on buisness trips where i am at different hotels everynight for weeks at a time and i'm going to need to have internet to do work... and being that i just bought this computer i figured it would be simple to use on wireless networks.. now i'm afraid that i'll just be carrying it around for nothing.... i guess i will go to the apple store and ask a Genius.. but to me it shouldn't need a genius to get connected.. but apparently it does!!!.. don't get me wrong.. other than this issue my MBP has been a dream...

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
does anyone else have these internet issues?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
In a word...Yes....
Have had this issue since the upgrade to Leopard on my MBP.
It will not stay connected via wireless.
Had none of this issue under Tiger at all.... ever... none.

It connects fine on boot or on coming out of sleep. But it will not stay connected. Or it goes in and out. I now have 2 wireless networks in the house. One is 'g' and the other is 'n'. Same issue on both, with 2 different brands of routers.

At the same time that none of the browsers will connect: Opera, Firefox & Safari all say there is no internet connection; iStumbler still shows me both of my networks. I can even be on IRC, have no connection on any browser, but still be connected to IRC. Now figure those two out.....

The easiest way I have found to reconnect is to go to the Airport icon on the menu bar and turn Airport off and back on.

It in fact happened while trying to post this reply. No internet connection. Zero bars on the Airport icon. Meanwhile iStumbler refresh indicated 65% on my preferred network and 80% on my secondary network. Had to turn Airport off and back on, yet one more time.

Reaction score
You can solve this by using a manually set IP address. It should get solved by Apple, but this workaround has worked fine for me.

My setup is
IP 192.168.10.2
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Router 192.168.10.1 (is fixed, can be different for other routers)

Then what is most important is setting the DNS, because otherwise it still would disconnect. I added my router address, 127.0.0.1 and especially the default gateway IP address and it stays connected now. You can find your default gateway in your router config.

If at least one person can stay connected after following this hint, typing it out was worth it. But still, Apple needs to solve it, hopefully with 10.5.2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Al iMac * 2.0GHz Intel
Hi.

I too am having the same problem, after gloating to my dad about wonderful my new 20" iMac is and taking the pee out of him!

How do I go about setting that up (what tommi montana said) on the mac?

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i'm sorry that people are also having this problem... but kinda happy that its at least not just me... hopefully there are enough people having problems so that apple fixes this bug!... i went to an apple store to talk to a "genius" about the issue today and the guy didn't even know how to get to the system preferences in Leopard!.. all he did was ping yahoo and say it works fine.. . really crappy service!.. but i'll try what Tommie Montana suggests... if i can figure it out... but it just sux to have to do all that each and everytime i cgo to a friends house!... oh well.. hopefully ity will get patched soon!...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, before I made a post on how specifically to do what Tommie suggested, wanted to give it a shot. It's a no go after a 2 day trial on my MBP. Still same problem.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok.. so my problems may have been solved... a friend found this...

"Apple has documented an issue in Leopard where after installing the Login and Keychain Update 1.0, the computer's AirPort card may not work. Apple says the solution is to start up in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key during startup. Once the computer has started in Safe Mode, simply restart again (without holding any keys)"

i tried this. It didn't work right away.. i went to sleep, woke up and now have had no problems connecting to other networks... two so far.. one that i was only able to connect to before the Login and Keychain Update 1.0... and one I never tried before... so give it a try!...

whew!.. i was starting to get pretty frustrated!

Reaction score
I have the same problem, but i'm using tiger not leopard. since yesterday my mac book cant connect to the internet but the airport just show full connection. safari and camino both doesnt work also. i restart my mac and also the router for few times but it just doesnt work. :(

Reaction score
same problem with tiger

the reason i came onto these forums is because i am having the same problem with tiger (i will not upgrade to leopard, nor buy another mac after all the problems i have been having). i am writing this from windows on my intel mac because on the same exact computer in windows, i can connect to the internet, while in tiger i cannot. brilliant!

someone above mentioned that when they went to sleep, it worked fine the next day. i have also had this issue. the problem for me seems to be more prominent in the middle of the night (i cant explain why) when i am usually working (anywhere after 2 or 3 am).

i have not had this issue before a couple of weeks ago, which is strange. then i went out and bought a new dlink router, thinking the old linsys was the problem. wrong!

anyways, i suppose i should take the machine to the store and see what those g-nyuses have to say (im expecting something like having to swap my whole computer for what should be a non-issue).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.