Unusual Audio Problem in Garageband

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was recording a band for some friends with Garageband. I used the latest Macbook with an Alesis MultiMix Firewire 8 as an interface with several mics. Anyways, I was working on things such as mixing and EQ's but I quit to watch a movie with the family and then came back only to find that it would not play. I have checked all of the inputs and things to see if it was a simple mistake but i could not find anything and it is only this one song that does not work. I have checked compressors and plug-ins to see if the gain was some how turned all the way down but I still cannot find any reason for this. The meters on all of the tracks show that there is sound but nothing shows on the main meter in the middle of the screen. All of the other sound on the computer works so it is obviously only in Garageband. This is very unusual as it is only this one song and the sudden stop. It would be wonderful if anyone has any advice.

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was recording a band for some friends with Garageband. I used the latest Macbook with an Alesis MultiMix Firewire 8 as an interface with several mics. Anyways, I was working on things such as mixing and EQ's but I quit to watch a movie with the family and then came back only to find that it would not play. I have checked all of the inputs and things to see if it was a simple mistake but i could not find anything and it is only this one song that does not work. I have checked compressors and plug-ins to see if the gain was some how turned all the way down but I still cannot find any reason for this. The meters on all of the tracks show that there is sound but nothing shows on the main meter in the middle of the screen. All of the other sound on the computer works so it is obviously only in Garageband. This is very unusual as it is only this one song and the sudden stop. It would be wonderful if anyone has any advice.

Have you checked what the audio output of GB is in GB's preferences?

I can't remember how GB works with it's audio and midi files. I use Logic Pro (and own Logic Express) and it saves audio files in the folder you specify for storage of that songs component parts..

Rimmer

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes I already checked that. Other songs play fine and it was working great it's just so weird... thanks for a try though Rimmer

Reaction score
Yes I already checked that. Other songs play fine and it was working great it's just so weird... thanks for a try though Rimmer

Can you take a screen dump of that specific song in GB then post it? I remember having a similar issue with Logic 4.8 Platinum some years ago. Just trying to remember what it was and how I got it back and running.. It'll come to me. Er...

OP
M
Reaction score
umm... I don't really know how to post images and do image hosting and what not but if you tell me I'm willing to try it. I might just end up recording it again...

Reaction score
umm... I don't really know how to post images and do image hosting and what not but if you tell me I'm willing to try it. I might just end up recording it again...

APPLE KEY + SHIFT + 3. Press all at the same time and it will dump a file called Picture 1 on the desktop. Double click and it should boot PREVIEW. Save As and change it from a PNG to a JPG. You can adjust the file size by changing the quality. I don't know what their attachment limit is here.

Post a reply then go down the page from where your typing. Choose MANAGE ATTACHMENTS and upload from your computer. Easy..

No biggy though about the screen dump though but it's handy to know how to attach something to a message..

Regards. Rimmer

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, I got it. Thanks alot for all your help so far. As you can see in the picture the meters on the individual tracks move but nothing comes out of the main one towards the bottom middle. I just tried removing all effects, even on the Master Track, but that still did not change anything.

Picture 4.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.