iPhoto book alternatives?

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm new to the whole mac scene, and also new to this forum, however I've tried searching up what I'm looking for with no avail.

I'm really impressed with iphoto's ability to make books. I'm planning on making a big coffee table book involving over 10 years of photos and other scanned materials. It'll be probably at least 100 pages and if I was to do it in something like MS Publisher, 10's of gigabytes.

I'm basically looking for an alternative to iphoto's book making which will let me make chapters and will let me have full freedom in where I can place stuff (basically I want to be able to put text and captions anywhere and arrange my photos how I want it to be... and some control of layering). Is there a way to do this in iphoto? As far as I can see, there isn't.

What I like about iphoto at the moment is that it tells me what pictures i've used, and it seems to be able to work with how many images I have without troubles because I'm scared that using something like, say, publisher, would cause the computer to slow down to death when I start hitting the 100 picture mark.

I don't think I'll be able to use programs like publisher because all the images are imbedded in the file, and all my photos are 6-8mp each, so about 1-3 meg a pop. I've tried using publisher for a 50 page book and it took hours to save work... in other words without a massive amount of prior planning and resizing it'd be crazy to do it again.

Also uploading photos onto a server to work on a 3rd party program is probably a bad idea.

So does anyone have any ideas how I would go about this? Any programs I haven't heard of? If theres also a windows alternative I'm still very happy using it. Or even book making software that doesn't embed stuff.

Hope you can help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's been some time since I last used it, but you should look into RagTime. It's a really good desktop publishing app. I can't recall whether or not it embeds images into its files... it seems that was an option to do so or not. It takes a little time to get used to... I strongly recommend running through its interactive tutorial if you do try it.
http://www.ragtime-online.com/

EDIT: Oh yes... RagTime is available for Windows and OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.