• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Moving to Chicago soon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
all,
after serving my country and navy for almost 10 years in jacksonville, i will be moving to chicago to teach electronics technician "a" school. i would like anyone who is from/lives there to give advice for someone who has been in the south for almost 10 years. also include decent places to live if you know of any.

Dylan

btw- thanks to falooza for the 3rd dot!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have not live there, but I have visited. I have been told you need to buy your winter clothes there. A coat from FL .will not keep you warm. The wind (hawk) will just laugh at you and cut right through you.

OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not live there, but I have visited. I have been told you need to buy your winter clothes there. A coat from FL .will not keep you warm. The wind (hawk) will just laugh at you and cut right through you.
we concur. we are going to spend the next 3 or 4 months of salary on winter clothes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
do you want to live with in the city limits? or would you prefer the burbs?

I moved to the burbs of Chicago 3 months ago. You are right to invest in a good coat. I would also recommend a good winter hat and gloves.

OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it needs to be between the city and the navy base. burbs not to bad, but the wife would probably be driving to the city for her job and she does not like to drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I've lived in the west suburbs my whole life. Now, I live just out of the city in the near west suburbs. I was planning on moving not too far out from the loop but the place is a little too large for me.

hmmm... What can you afford or do you want to pay a month? Or do you want to live near where you work? Do you want to live in the city and depend on the buses and the "el" or do you have a car?

Prices will range from $500 in the ghetto to $1200+ in a rich neighborhood. I need to know what you're willing to pay or where you want to live to help.

OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well our house pymt now is less than $900 and we have 2 cars. 1300 a month is right at a little too much for us, but it is manageable. a 45 min drive is long for either one of us, but i am willing to drive further if needed..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It takes me 25-35 mins to get to work downtown. I wouldn't move far past the very near suburbs to get where you want to be in 45 mins.
I was going to move to Old Town. It's just outside the loop and the place I was looking at was $685 for a very large studio. It's right by Cabrini Green which is not so nice place to live.
I like Old Town, Gold Coast, Wicker Park, and Lincoln Park. They're all very close to downtown and you should be able to find a 1 bedroom for $900 a month.
I think my place is like $750 for a 1 bedroom. It's got a parking garage but they only allow one car I think.

Atrium Village - Where I was looking to go. It's got a pool and a tennis court. Plenty of parking too. 530 sqft is too big for me. I think mine is only 350 sqft and it's a little too large.

I like using apartments.com. Give that a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you going to be at the great lakes navy base?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A friend of mine is leaving the base come April.

You can check the Glen View area and Morton Grove

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What should be done to prepare our vehicles for much colder weather?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Well it looks like either way you'll be getting there around the snow season and I don't know much about cars but I can definitely tell you that you are going to need snow tires.

M

MacHeadCase

I hope the move goes smoothly for you. :)

I've heard the winter weather can get just as rugged out there as in The Great White North... So look for -40˚ C/F clothes, boots, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it looks like either way you'll be getting there around the snow season and I don't know much about cars but I can definitely tell you that you are going to need snow tires.

I don't know about that. I know only one person that actually uses snow tires in IL. I still got my sport tires on my itty bitty little Honda and I don't have a problem. I didn't get stuck last year when it was really bad and snow was up the bottom of the door jam, about 2 ft. Chicago snow plows do a pretty good job keeping the streets clean.
I would recommend a new battery if it's 2 yrs old or more. I just replaced mine and I'm glad I did. It was 0 degrees F Wednesday when I left for work. Maybe use some of that stuff you put in the gas tank to get the excess water out of the tank and fuel lines. It's a little yellow bottle and it's called *eet" or something. I remember 2 e's and t in the name. Veet maybe...
If you have a pickup truck or a RWD vehicle with little weight in the back, get some bags of sand, litter or something to keep the back down.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, i'm in minnesota, and i don't know many people who use snow tires; just make sure you've got good all season tires.

agreed with bry on the battery. also flush/fill your antifreeze when you get there, they'll do the right balance of water/antifreeze in chicago. and make sure your windshield washer fluid is filled with something that won't freeze. you may want to consider "winter" blades too. they come encased in rubber so the arms don't freeze - which can leave them molded in resting position and leave huge expanses of dirty windshield unreachable by the arched blades.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.