Cleaning Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I know I know! Another Mighty Mouse thread!

After reading dozens of Mighty Mouse threads, I know everything about it, except how to clean the scroll ball.

I am actually incredibly satisfied with my Mighty Mouse (apparently this is rare) and I'd like to clean the scroll wheel, because it's gotten stuck.

Thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I use a dry or damp cloth to clean mine.

Reaction score
cleaning stuck iMac mighty mouse

symptom:
Scroll ball will not work to scroll page down.

1) Turn the mouse over and roll on a clean piece of paper. Up down sideways and in figure eights using moderate pressure.

-this dislodged specks of dirt, but did not correct my problem.

2) Dampen a clean handkerchief with 91% Isopropyl alcohol. I placed a white handkerchief on a white plate and dripped alcohol on it until there was a 3" circle. Damp not soaked.

UNPLUG THE MOUSE ...
and roll on the alcohol dampened handkerchief and then on a clean piece of paper. Up down sideways and in figure eights.

-this dislodged a speck of dirt and after letting the Mouse sit over night to dry and rolling on clean white paper again, the scroll ball became functional.

3) There is a clip on YouTube showing how to dissemble a might mouse in case there is no cleaning it. Sorry I did not keep that address.
----------------

It appears that this will be a regular maintenance issue and I plan on doing it once a week on paper and maybe once a month with alcohol (?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.