Native clients for iPhone

Reaction score
How soon do you think we'll be seeing native clients being released for the iphone?

When did Steve Jobbs say they'd open it up to 3rd party developers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
the SDK is supposed to be released in February. I think you can be fairly certain that new stuff will start popping up immediately following that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
my guess is a good number of developers already have what they need to start developing...As soon as SDK rolls out, id give it a week or two before we see the good stuff start to be released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
I wonder how much they'll charge for apps. If the prices are ridiculously then your going to see a lot of people (including me) jailbreaking their phones instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I think you mean native 'apps', not 'clients'. There already are many (at least a hundred I'd estimate) native apps, but they require jailbreaking to install. When the phone/ipt is opened by apple, I'd bet all those apps will be ported over the legal way very very quickly.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah, I meant apps- my bad. Hmmmm... I didn't even think a lot of people would be charging for their apps once the iphone is opened up....

You think there's any chance Apple will surprise us and open it at macworld??

Reaction score
I wonder how much they'll charge for apps. If the prices are ridiculously then your going to see a lot of people (including me) jailbreaking their phones instead.
Doubt it. I think the Palm/WM software community does quite well considering how much junk is out there with a price tag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
Although I'm sure apple will be releasing apps at a price, I would tend to think that many of the developers out there will be releasing their new apps as freeware (or at least I hope that they will). That seems to be the trend right now, but then again, adding legitimacy always seems to make things more expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Yeah, once it is open, geeks won't find it cool to hack apps for it anymore. Legitimate/large companies will start to make 'useful' apps and charge for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I don't think it's really fair to make any assumptions yet. All we know is that an SDK is coming. We don't know who it will be available to (specially selected/approved companies? Everyone?), we don't know how apps will be installed (from iPhone interface, through new iTunes revision, etc), and we don't know how the apps will run (completely native, inside some kind of offline sandbox like current Safari-based apps).

Until we can answer some of these questions, I don't think Jailbroken apps will go anywhere. I STILL think that even if the SDK is open to all comers, the iPhone Dev folks will still be hacking away. Speaking from a coding standpoint, I highly doubt ANY SDK released by Apple will include the methods/calls that the Dev team is using for their unlocks. They won't be going anywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
There will be free apps and paid apps. Just like software is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.