Photo editing for the common man

Reaction score
I'm utterly appalled by the overkill I'm encountering in my search for photo editing software. If I wanted a Ph.D I'd go to M.I.T., I wouldn't be messing with Apple Aperture 1.5. For crying out loud, all I want to do is fix some lousy pictures, not publish a fashion magazine. Would someone kindly help me out. I'm running Mac 10.3 on a G3 machine with plenty of extra memory. iPhoto is not my cup of tes, it has a full complement of baloney functions none of which do much for the image. I have no intention of taking out a bank loan for some of the software I've encountered so far.

This is the scenario, I have a shoe box full of old analog pictures. Some are too light, some too dark, some out of focus, and some are hopeless. I am disinterested in everything else photo editing does that doesn't address those issues.

I have a good scanner, and in my mind's eye I see myself scanning these photos, exporting them to my computer where I fix the mess and then send them to my printer for hard copies. Is this such an impossible dream?I equate expensive software with right angle learning curves. I feel the cheaper it is, the fewer will be the procedures in which I have zero interest. I'm open to ideas by sympathetic persons (please don't sing the praises $299.99 software).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'd recommend searching...you'll find lots of information that has already been posted here.

Reaction score
Protem

Photo software can be daunting to say the least. Over the years I used PS in beginning and now primarily Lightroom.

It sounds like your machine is powerful enough, you may find your graphics card to be no longer up to the task, but the computer isn't your main concern.

Software comes in two types, editing and cataloging. You have to pick one for what you need or use one that does both.

For example ACDsee, Bibble, Extensis, etc are excellent cataloging packages that offer some limited enhancement features.

Aperture, Lightroom and PhotoShop offer greater manipulation of the image, but, some prefer other software for cataloging.

From your post, you mention scanning old prints and negatives. Keep in mind that no software can fix everything. You can make adjustments in color hues, contrast etc, but you will not be able to make an out of focus image clear.

Stick with the better known/used software since there are many places, such as here, to assist in the learning curve.

You won't need to attend M.I.T to use any of them!

Personally I think Lightroom is better than Aperture, but, that is a personal choice based on the user interface.

Others may chime in with presonal preferences etc, but that in a nutshell is your choice. Pick a need and find the software best suited for you.

Unfortunately there aren't many packages that will do what you wish for free, or are very low cost.

Good luck in your search.

Best,

Jeff

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Photoshop Elements is relatively inexpensive at about $79, offers cataloging features and very sophisticated editing capability, but you do need to invest some time and effort in learning to use it. The easier things (like adjusting brightness/contrast, removing red-eye, etc) are automated. I think that's what you're looking for.

Reaction score
I used Color It for years. It was my first photo-editing app, and it was a snap to learn. I now have Enhance, by the same company, one step up from Color It but with all the same controls that Color It has, plus others. I prefer Enhance over Photoshop, both of which run under System 9 (My version of Photoshop runs under 9 and X.)

Color It now runs native on PowerPC Macs running OS X. It probably still needs Rosetta for Intel Macs, but that wouldn't be an issue for you.

I heartily recommend it. It's $59.95 and has a 30-day money-back guarantee.

OP
P
Reaction score
Jeff,

I'm truly impressed with your thoughtful and insightful observations. You described the dilemma I needed a novel to explain — in less than a sentence. Already you can see what the problem is — I'm not exactly fast on my feet. In any event, I spent a great deal of time eyeballing all the software you mentioned. I concluded that PS Elements 4 is my likeliest bet. However, my considered opinion is that its analysis would make a great thesis at Cal Tech. I have no intention of taking mountain climbing lessons to go skiing on a mole hill.

I thank you for your unstinting help, but unless someone invents a little mickey mouse program for those of us at the bottom of the bell curve — Adios Elements 4 (indeed: adios 1,2,3,5.6.7... too). I think it ridiculous that software should requires exhaustive coolie labor to perform kindergarten assignments — I thought software was supposed to mitigate a problem, not exacerbate it.

Reaction score
Jeff,

I'm truly impressed with your thoughtful and insightful observations. You described the dilemma I needed a novel to explain — in less than a sentence. Already you can see what the problem is — I'm not exactly fast on my feet. In any event, I spent a great deal of time eyeballing all the software you mentioned. I concluded that PS Elements 4 is my likeliest bet. However, my considered opinion is that its analysis would make a great thesis at Cal Tech. I have no intention of taking mountain climbing lessons to go skiing on a mole hill.

I thank you for your unstinting help, but unless someone invents a little mickey mouse program for those of us at the bottom of the bell curve — Adios Elements 4 (indeed: adios 1,2,3,5.6.7... too). I think it ridiculous that software should requires exhaustive coolie labor to perform kindergarten assignments — I thought software was supposed to mitigate a problem, not exacerbate it.

Your more than welcome. In this digital age, the computer-being the new darkroom-is a necessity.

I had completely forgot about Elements. I did use it many years ago. From what little I know it has been reconfigured as a "poor mans" version of PS with all the essentials needed for photography.

Best of luck in your learning curve and please post your results!

Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
iPhoto is not my cup of tes, it has a full complement of baloney functions none of which do much for the image.

What are you talking about, 'baloney functions'?

This is the scenario, I have a shoe box full of old analog pictures. Some are too light, some too dark, some out of focus, and some are hopeless. I am disinterested in everything else photo editing does that doesn't address those issues.

You can't do much with out-of-focus pictures and even less with the hopeless ones.

From your very own description, it sounds to me like iPhoto will be fine. iPhoto 08 added two editing controls that almost caused me to buy Aperture previously; a Highlights slider and a Shadows slider. Also the red eye tools seems improved to me.

See this thread regarding other possibilities for your needs.

There is no magic. You have to invest some time into any application. So face up to that fact.

Reaction score
Protem, Just use Iphoto on your Mac it will do everything it sounds like you want it to do. Import the picture, "right" click on the picture than select "Edit in full screen" bring your cursor to the bottom of the page and the editing options will appear. The options are basic and easy to use. If you need help email me at [email protected]. You can see the photos that I edit at www.thecreatorsdesign.ifp3.com I use Iphoto for the colors (like what you want) and photoshop for the rest. Editing the colors on photoshop isnt as bright and clear as editing the colors on the FREE Iphoto that you got with your mac. So email me and I can help you with all of your photo needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.