• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Am I the only one that doesn't want apple to get bigger?

Reaction score
I know this sounds horrible-I love my mac more than anyone else-but i would miss the exclusivity if apple became as big as windows. You know that feeling you get when you show an iDVD made presentation in front of your family and friends, and they're so impressed? You know how shocked people are at the simplicity of video conferencing iChat? It's unbelievable!

Now, imagine if EVERYONE had macs. People wouldn't feel as "in love" with the company, and you wouldn't have that feeling in a coffeeshop being the only person with OS X.

What do you think? I love apple-but in a way I love being in the minority loving apple as well.

Oops! Double post. Please use this thread, and mods please delete the other. Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I doubt you'll ever have to worry about Macs having larger market share than Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
A world where everybody used Apple, with maybe a few rebel Linux users

I wonder what that would be like? Interesting Sci Fi movie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Now, imagine if EVERYONE had macs. People wouldn't feel as "in love" with the company
No offense meant, but that is possibly one of the silliest things I have ever read.
I like my Macs.
I am neither "in love" with the company nor do I hold any deep connection to Apple. If something else came along that did the job better for me then I would probably use it.
For now, Macs work the best for me and my situation and I could care less what anyone else uses.

OP
M
Reaction score
Haha, none taken. I was just trying to illustrate the point that, IMO, there are a lot more die-hard mac users than windows users-perhaps because the mac community is more close-knit.

Am I making sense to anyone but myself?:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Now, imagine if EVERYONE had macs. People wouldn't feel as "in love" with the company, and you wouldn't have that feeling in a coffeeshop being the only person with OS X.

Not sure where you live, but around here, you're the odd one out if you have a Windows laptop in coffee shops and at college ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Not sure where you live, but around here, you're the odd one out if you have a Windows laptop in coffee shops and at college ;P

That must be a nice feeling. Where I live no one even knows what a mac really is. Honestly.If you go anywhere with a mac people genuinely have no idea what you're running and they start asking questions. So it's kind of fun to be different while other times you get looked down on by certain users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
I do wish that they wouldn't get bigger. It's great to see all the new mac users out there, and it's great that Apple is making a good profit, but it's a double edged sword in a way, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do wish that they wouldn't get bigger. It's great to see all the new mac users out there, and it's great that Apple is making a good profit, but it's a double edged sword in a way, too.

I don't see how it's at all bad. If anything it finally gets software, web, and hardware developers to pay more attention to the Mac platform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
I don't see how it's at all bad. If anything it finally gets software, web, and hardware developers to pay more attention to the Mac platform.

Yes it does. But no OS is safe. And that kind of popularity is also going to attract interest from hackers, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it does. But no OS is safe. And that kind of popularity is also going to attract interest from hackers, etc.

Well just like if you were running Windows, don't do anything dumb with your computer and you have nothing to worry about. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
i must admit, i thought that leopards release on my machine was just about as bad as windows with holes in it.

The more experienced people will tell me its me, my machine or something I have done, which is fair enough..

I believe this was with the pressure of getting out for october after putting back due to iphone.

This was a sign of growth of company/proucts without the same growth of resources..

It could be that they are getting too big or just that they are not used to planning this way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i would love too see a lot more people with macs but the more people that come the more chance there is of viruses being created.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
I tried to explain to some friends of mine in school what leopard was. Most didn't even know what OS X was.

I think is a bigger share is necessary and welcome, but I must say i do enjoy feeling good when I sit and see everyone else frustrated with windows and my mac is flawlessly doing it's thing :D

Reaction score
Actually a very similar thing was (is) going on in the Linux community. There are the die-hards who resist "easy" Linux distros because it will drawn in too many people and they want to keep it exclusive. Mac has got a long journey to take away a big chunk of microsoft's large market share. But having said that: I imagine between Mac and Linux they have already made a very large dent. Linux is harder to measure since you can download various distros for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
I kinder hope the same thing less virus's ect. and i love the look of the mac and if every one had a mac the beauty would just seem to fade and probably the service. But on the other hand you wouldn't have to look if software works with macs as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I am an admitted Mac "fan-boy". I like anything Apple, but I understand it is not for everyone. I started using Macs back in early 95 and kept with them through the rough times and have been happy to see them survive and thrive. A small Apple stock purchase I made in 96 has doubled twice and has made me a good chunk of change, so I am interested in how they perform on the Market. I use Windows at work because I have to. I don't use Windows at home because I don't want to and that is my choice.

The return of Steve Jobs and the introduction of the iMac and the iPod began a revolution for the Mac community that has changed it in ways I, and many other so called "experts", could never have imagined back in 95-96. The fact that Apple survived against so many odds and so much mismanagement fills me with no small amount of pleasure on a personal level. Yes, they are just boxes full of wires and circuit boards, but these days many people identify with their "gadgets" and computers in the same ways they identify with other people and animals. This has long been true in the Mac community, almost since day one. There is a bond that develops between the two which is hard to identify but fascinating to watch and experience. What that says or doesn't say about us as a society is another discussion all together.

I'd ultimately like to see Apple with a nice 10% market share (they have 6.6% here in the US currently). I've seen the recent spurt of growth that the iPod "halo" effect and the Intel switch have had and I have watched it with some skepticism but also with hope. It has brought new challenges and new ideas to the community but it has also blurred the line with the "Wintel" community now that there is so much commonality.

Bottom line, as long as Apple can continue to deliver good products to their customers that fit my needs I will continue to buy from them and support them. I'm not looking for something "New and Different", I'm happy with what I have. In the end, that is really what counts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
its funny how you say that because i dont ever recall seeing many people on my campus carrying a mac around until after i bought mine. now its like they pop out of everywhere. we have a starbucks in the ground level of our library and its pretty common to see 3 or 4 people with a mac sitting in the cafe at anytime. its a great feeling because whenever i spot somebody we kind of just give each other the "nod" like we're in a secret club or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
whenever i spot somebody we kind of just give each other the "nod" like we're in a secret club or something.

Do you think Zune users do a similar thing

Or are they so thin on the ground that no 2 Zune users have ever meet :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Originally Posted by Kash
Not sure where you live, but around here, you're the odd one out if you have a Windows laptop in coffee shops and at college

I guess i have the disadvantage of going to a college sponsored by microsoft ;)
Although the ict tech guys tried to get an active internet connection on my mac it just didnt work. It was back to bootcamp :(

I think this whole idea of mac users being a separate "clan" to windows users is ridiculas. I use a mac because it offers the applications and functions more efficiently than its windows alternative. I love the dock, i cant stand the start menu.

When upgrading to 10.5 i wasnt very impressed, i found it to be slightly unstable however the 10.5.1 update fixed all that.

But the main feature i like is you dont need to format the hard drive twice a year to keep it running efficiently.

If microsoft was to suddenly create a OS that fitted my needs better than a mac, as much as i regret to say it i would use what is the best tool available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.