Classic Problems

Reaction score
Classic ROM booting problem

Hi,
I just recently recieved a PowerBook G4 12" with Mac OS X 10.4.11 installed for christmas. I wanted to use classic environment with it, so (because I'm such a lazy slob) I just copied the Mac OS 9 System Folder from my old iBook, running Mac OS X 10.4.<something higher that 4> to the PowerBook. After a reboot the Mac OS X system worked fine with classic, all the control panels appeared, I can run programs, etc.
The only problem I've been having, and it is only an annoyance really, is when I start up my PowerBook it comes up first with a picture of the world [EDIT: I should say, the Earth viewed from space with a mostly blue tinge] flashing in a grey box with the Mac OS 9 firmware background (I presume this is the Mac OS 9 network boot icon) stays there for 5 seconds, then switched to the Mac OS 9 flashing system folder alternating with question mark and the finder logo (I thing this is saying it cannot find my Mac OS 9 folder to boot) then after about 5 seconds it switches to the normal grey apple logo on white background with the little circle loading thingie and the computer starts up.
It there any way, short of reinstalling Mac OS X or 9 to make that Mac OS 9 firmware boot thing go away?

Thanks in advance,
Atyndall
The lazy slob who was blessed with a PowerBook G4 12"

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Go to system preferences - > Start up disk, then select your start up folder. In my case it is Mac OS X, 10.4.11 on Macintosh HD. Then quit the application. You should be good to go, on the next reboot.

OP
A
Reaction score
Re:

EDIT: I tried restarting it like you said and it worked anyways! thankyou

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.