Help with error for fat32 formatted ext hd

Reaction score
i have just formatted my new 160gb ext hd to two partitions: 100gb in fat32 and the rest in HFS+..

i was just getting ready to backup files, and here's what happened:

i transferred a dmg file into the fat32 partition, then created a new folder in that partition (named 'apps'), then moved the dmg file into the 'apps' folder. it worked fine, but then, i created another folder (named 'backup') and i tried to move the 'apps' folder into the 'backup' folder. it said that the operation could not be completed, error code 122. :[

can anyone tell me what the problem is? should i just reformat the whole thing to HFS? or maybe to NTFS then use Paragon? or is there a solution to this? i'd really like to be able to transfer files to and from my mac to other windows PCs.. thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
FAT32 is a gawdawful file system. I've had issues myself with an external drive that used FAT32 in that files got corrupted if I didn't properly dismount the drive before disconnecting it. Just avoid it altogether. OS X can already read NTFS partitions out-of-the-box, but you can add write access using a couple FREE 3rd-party utilities. They work fine for me.

First install MacFUSE:
http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

Then reboot and install NTFS-3G:
http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

You'll still need Windows to format a partition using NTFS, afaik.

OP
chardane
Reaction score
aww, i guess i shouldn't have reformatted it in the first place :p it was NTFS originally..anyway, i know better now, thanks a lot! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.