• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

RIP Netscape Navigator

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
RIP Netscape. How I shall miss thee :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Wow! I thought netscape was already long gone! LOL!! I think I used that browser once or twice in 1994.

M

MacHeadCase

Weird. They had made a comeback maybe a year ago? I thought they had found a new vitality and had the strength to stand on their legs a bit longer.

Too bad, though. This is a direct consequence of Micro$oft's shady practices in the 90s when they put code in Windows to make other apps like QuickTime and Netscape crash so the WinBox users would use IE and Windows Media player instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Netscape's main issue was that it was bloated, slow, and then destroyed by AOL when they purchased it. There is no love lost by it's demise. :)

Netscape wasn't so much killed by IE as it was slowly strangled to death by its younger, better brother...Firefox.

Reaction score
I remember the buzz when Netscape opened on NASDAQ. Jim Clark had a half billion dollars in his share of stock at the end of the day. For a company that gave away its product for free and hadn't made a penny of profit!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jan 08 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 Core, 10GB Ram, 2.25TB, ATi Radeon 3870.
My dad and I used to use Netscape back in the day (when we were on 56k). I think we used it until, version 6? The point of where it got bloated and ran like crap because of all the "additional features". At that point we were stuck with IE...until Firefox came along.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I still use Netscape 6.2 Composer on occasion. It's a pretty decent WYSIWYG basic html editor/builder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
netscape used to always be the browser that would 'just work' back in my win95 days....if IE didnt do it, netscape could!
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
it was back then what firefox is now. I remember using it back in elementary school on the old macs they had.

I actually did not know it was still around, I thought aol killed it a long time ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
MY parents are still basically stuck on the late 90's: using a 56k modem (no cable or DSL where they live) and use Netscape to surf the web, Unfortunately, she's had to use it b/c that's the only way she could access her email service provided by the local stone-age internet provider. I wonder what they will do now that it's shut down.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I used Netscape from the beginning. Then AOL took it over and it got a lot more bloated. Then Firefox came out and I switched over to that.

It's sad to see it die but I am not surprised as not many are using it anymore. It was the best browser out there at one point in time.

Reaction score
It's sad to see it die but I am not surprised as not many are using it anymore.
It's still alive and well. For anyone who might still want to use it (Netscape is rebranded and crippled Mozilla), click here for it under another name, SeaMonkey. (The download link is on the left of that page.)

It's the old suite of browser, email app and Composer HTML editor, but updated, using the Firefox browser and, I think, Thunderbird for email.

That article doesn't mention any of this. Good thing I'm still wearing my anti-MS-conspiracy tinfoil hat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I actually did not know it was still around, I thought aol killed it a long time ago.
They did. They bought it. It's just that they're now taking it off life support.

AOL has had a long history of buying things and killing them. Actually it's more that they let things die out of neglect or lack of use. Frankly I'm surprised that AOL is still alive.

Good bye Netscape. You were good in your day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
While I did like netscape back in the late 90's, now all I can say is good riddance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
In Thomas Friedman's book The World Is Flat he gives ten reasons for globalization that has taken place. One of them is the introduction of netscape. To give you an idea of how huge he considers it to be another one is the fall of Berlin Wall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
I still use Netscape Navigator 9 every once in a while. (The latest version, they just updated it a few months ago.) It is sad to see them go.

Reaction score
(The latest version, they just updated it a few months ago.)

Actually, according to their blog, it was updated on December 10th.

I like their "URL Correction feature, pretty handy sometimes, and I have not found a stable browser that has this option besides Netscape Navigator.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Actually, according to their blog, it was updated on December 10th.

I like their "URL Correction feature, pretty handy sometimes, and I have not found a stable browser that has this option besides Netscape Navigator.

I use OpenDNS which corrects URLs regardless of browser.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.