• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Immortal Macs Thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
I figured I can't be the only one who's still using an old mac. This thread can be for all the stories about macs that have lasted incredibly long amounts of time and are still functional.

I'll start. I'm using a TiBook (Powerbook G4) 15" 867 MHz PPC 40GB HD, no third party upgrades, that my brother gave me a year and half ago. He had it for three years before giving it to me. It's nearly five years old and it's the fastest computer in the household. For a laptop, that seems pretty good when I've heard the average life of a laptop is anywhere from 10 months (own experiences) to 2 years (http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=100978). In overall speed opening programs, webpages, anything really, I outpace my stepmom's practically brand new Dell Inspiron Desktop. It will last me another year and half until I'll buy a new laptop, but most likely if I wanted to I could use it even beyond that.

My only problem with it is I constantly have to clean out my drive because of the small amount of disk space, and also the battery life is about half what it should be. I'm Looking into a new batery for it though, which should solve the problem easily. Oh, also, my charger overheated once and melted. Nothing 20 bucks for a new power source couldn't fix.

How about you guys?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
My first Mac was an LC475
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_lc/stats/mac_lc_475.html
It lasted about 4 years but died 6 months after I overclocked it to a dizzying 40 mHz

Other Macs I have had I have given away so cannot tell you how long they lasted

I need a new computer soon but am currently using a 2001 G4 Quicksilver - which is still gong strong running 10.4.11

My oldest Mac is a 1989/1990 SE 30 I bought off ebay a few years ago. It still works fine, runs system 7 and has its ram bumped up to 32 meg!!!
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_classic/stats/mac_se30.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
My cuz, jayjaytee has a 800MHz G4 that's still going. We installed more RAM and a SuperDrive in it over the summer and and got Leopard running on it 2 weeks ago.
I tried reviving a Mac Plus, made in the 80's, running but I didn't realize I was going to need an external SCSI HD to make it work. I think it had an 8MHz processor, 4MB of RAM installed, and a 5" black and white CRT display.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I could type for hours as I have a lot of Old but working Macs. I will keep it short. I have a working Mac Plus that still works like new. Made in 1986. Same with my old Mac SE.

As far as systems I still really use, 350Mhz G3 B&W, 400Mhz G4 Yikes, 500Mhz G4 Sawtooth. All work perfectally but at one point the CPU's Cache on the Yikes went south and I got Kernel Panics. New G4 400 fixed it.

I use my G4 Digital Audio almost daily. It's been upgraded to a 1.8Ghz G4, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and 1.5GB PC133 RAM. Very useable machine although the Intel Mini blows it away for everything except a few games because of the 9800 Pro Vs the Intel Graphics.

Reaction score
I use an 800 MHz iBook G3 as my main laptop, and it does well with 256 MB of RAM and 10.4.10

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
My iBook G4 1.42 GHz is doing well as my main Mac. It isn't the oldest computer in this thread, but the G4 is a pretty old chip. I just finished upgrading to Leopard tonight, and it's still faster then some PC's I've used before.

It'll probably be at least another two years before I'll upgrade (Probably to a MacBook)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
The G4 is old? Well then... Up until last year I was running a 9600/233 PowerPC. I gave it to a friend and it's still working :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I still am using part time a 333 mhz imac with 512 MB memory I think. And it still goes like a charm. My old SE though is in a box now. Unused. But it still works as does my 512K machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.