Flashes Flashes Flashes!

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between a few different flash models for my Canon Rebel Xti, and I could use some help.
Today I looked at the Canon 430ex flash unit. It's a whole lot better than my old Minolta flash that i probably shouldn't be using, at least for on camera stuff. The only issue is the $350 price tag that comes with it.
It does have a lot of features that seem handy, but $350 is a bit to much for me.
I have been looking around on B&H and I think I've narrowed it down to 2 flashes.
TheVivitar 285HV seems to be quite the sturdy flash, for a low cost. It's got vari-power, which is something I'm looking for, a sync outlet ,for cables and such, and a few other features.
I was also looking at the Sunpak PZ40X II. It's a bit of a smaller unit, and a little more costly. But it does have E-TTL, the same vari-power stops, and a better swivel head, plus some other features as well.

The price difference isn't a huge issue to me. If anyone has had any experience with either or these flashes, help would be much appreciated.

Also if anyone knows of any other flashes with similar features and within the same price range, please tell.

Thanks, Luke.

Reaction score
The Vivitar is the weapon of choice for strobist, do a google search on strobist and your learn a lot! so i recommend the vivitar

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah I looked on strobist and they said it's a really good flash.
Pretty much everyone says it's the flash to get.
But for like 60 bucks more I could get the Sunpak with the same vari-power settings and the E-TTL which would be nice to have.
Also does anyone know if anyone in calgary would have the Vivitar for sale.
I know The Camera Store used to have them, but the viv is no longer on their site so...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
I have the Canon 580EX to go with my 30&40D. I just got 2 Vivitars with wireless add-ons to go with them and a little transmitter to go on my camera and stands for them so I don't have to lug around my portrait flash set.

You will really be set if you got the Vivitar. The only things is- Do you know how to manual set it? Because it's not automatic like the Sunpak and CanonEX.

I just like using the Canon flashes because the batteries last for ever in them and I don't have to set any settings for it.

OP
B
Reaction score
well the basis of buying this flash is to start learning how to use the manual settings/
the sunpak looks like a good flash but its smaller and only has about 140 cycles before you need to change the battery.
i guess that isnt bad since i have lots of rechargables but still thats a bit of a pain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Where are you looking at that the 430EX is $350? That's about the price for a 580EX II.

If you want to buy a flash to use on camera, I'd reccomend at least the 430EX or maybe a cheaper Sigma 500/530 super. The Vivitar is great for the price, being only $90, but it lack auto features. Even on camera, you have to manually adjust power and focal length, where and E-TTL flash does that for you.

If you have time to setup all your shots, this shouldn't be much of a problem, if you're going to be shooting events, you should probably stick with a TTL flash of some sort.

The reason why the Vivitar is packaged with the strobist kit and why so many people use them for off camera flashes is that they really only use them off camera. Once you stick a flash on a radio trigger, it loses all TTL function, so paying an extra $260 for TTL when you're not going to use it on camera is pointless for those people.

Read this and look up the links at the bottom.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89972

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
well the basis of buying this flash is to start learning how to use the manual settings/
the sunpak looks like a good flash but its smaller and only has about 140 cycles before you need to change the battery.
i guess that isnt bad since i have lots of rechargables but still thats a bit of a pain.

This is at full power. The Vivitar 285HV says 100 with regular batteries and 50 with rechargeables. Then again, that's 7 second recycle time with alkaline AA's vs. 3 second recycle time with NiCad's.

OP
B
Reaction score
Where are you looking at that the 430EX is $350? That's about the price for a 580EX II.

If you want to buy a flash to use on camera, I'd reccomend at least the 430EX or maybe a cheaper Sigma 500/530 super. The Vivitar is great for the price, being only $90, but it lack auto features. Even on camera, you have to manually adjust power and focal length, where and E-TTL flash does that for you.

If you have time to setup all your shots, this shouldn't be much of a problem, if you're going to be shooting events, you should probably stick with a TTL flash of some sort.

The reason why the Vivitar is packaged with the strobist kit and why so many people use them for off camera flashes is that they really only use them off camera. Once you stick a flash on a radio trigger, it loses all TTL function, so paying an extra $260 for TTL when you're not going to use it on camera is pointless for those people.

Read this and look up the links at the bottom.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89972

defiantly not shooting events, more bike riding where off camera is going to come into play, and possibly some portraits and junk.
the 430ex is 350 at london drugs(lame i know) but i was planning on going there and getting them to price match the camera store because im to lazy to go down there lol. its about 300 at vistek and the camera store and about 240 off b&h which is still kind of high for me.
i think ill go with the sunpak flash because it has the full manual settings, and the ttl if i need it, which i probably will for some time.
hopefully the camera store carries them, and i plan on picking up some cables too.
or the 50mm 1.8 i duno yet.

OP
B
Reaction score
picked up a 430ex. its sick!
happy i went with this rather than the vivitar.
i took a look at it and it seems good for off camera but, thats about it. wouldnt be fun to use on camera.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.