VX Revolution not recognized.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB
I got a Logitech VX Revolution for Christmas. It says it is Mac compatible and I know other people that use it on a Mac. When I plug the receiver into my MBP it doesn't recognize it at all. Like it doesn't even show up in the System Profiler. Yet it works fine on a Vista PC

Things I have tried
Restart Laptop
Reset PRAM
Repaired Disk Permissions
Called Logitech Customer Service (never heard of the problem... tried to help couldn't get an answer. Told me to call Apple)
Called Apple (2 hours on hold no answer)
Plugged the mouse into a Vista PC (mouse worked fine)
Installed the Logitech Control Center (shouldn't need it though)
Reinstalled Logitech Control Center
Checked my USB ports with other devices they work fine.
Checked batteries in Mouse

I have tried everything I can think of. Any ideas why this would be happening? Below is a screen shot of my system profiler on the USB tab with the receiver plugged in. Doesn't even see it.

Mark_Mac.jpg

M

MacHeadCase

You need to install the Logitech Control Center to configure your mouse buttons, I believe.

Are you running Mac OS X Leopard? I ask because there is a newer version of the Logitech Control Center that has just been updated for Leopard compatibility. Chances are that the CD that came with your mouse doesn't carry the latest driver version on it.

Other than that, you might want to try out the third-party mouse driver, SteerMouse, see if the mouse works better with this driver.

Maybe someone else has suggestions to add as well. I know that other members use this mouse too with their Macs.

OP
TheInvsbleMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks... actually you don't need the Control center for basic mouse functionality. My problem was that system profiler didn't even see that anything was plugged into the USB port, yet when I plugged it into a PC it worked just fine...

I called Logitech I was extremely satisfied with their customer service they were very nice and helpful. Yet they couldn't fix the problem they said it was Apple's problem

I called the Apple Care number for tech support... I was just as pleased with Apple as well. Yet they could not fix it either and told me to call Logitech again.

So I knew I was going to get no where with this and just out of desperation exchanged the mouse for a new one.

Plug it in... works fine, didn;t have to install drivers or anything it just worked. So my problem is solved but I still don't understand it. How can a mouse only be defective when you plug it into a Mac. But on a PC it works fine....

Just seems odd. But anyways the mouse is working great now. I can recommend it to anyone :)

M

MacHeadCase

Logitech aren't the most Mac-friendly, I have found. I had the MX1000 and the cursor jumped all over the screen. I scanned the Mac user Logitech boards and Logitech systematically refused to update the driver, saying it was up to Apple, Apple saying (rightfully so) they couldn't write software for every brand of mice out there.

I got a replacement MX1000, the problem was the same, I changed the configuration of my computer desk, mouse pad, tried third-party drivers like USBOverdrive and StreeMouse, etc. - nothing doing so I ended up throwing the thing in the trash.

I vowed I would never ever again encourage a company like that so Logitech is on my black list.

But then again, a member here (and others, I'm pretty sure), Stretch uses the same model you are using and reports no problems.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, sounds pretty strange. Use the revolution also. My guess only - the dongle was just not making a good connection with the ports on your MBP. Really the only thing that makes sense.

OP
TheInvsbleMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea I guess that must have been it its just really odd that it worked on a PC and not my Mac. I told the Apple rep that and he was like "that's the last thing I want to hear, its usually the other way around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.