Running Gimpshop in Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
I've recently had to switch to GIMP after leopard killed my PS CS2. I've heard that gimpshop is a better alternative to GIMP because of the better menu system, making it more familiar to those used to PS. GIMP is able to work fine in leopard; however, I'm having trouble getting gimpshop to do so. I've heard that this is the result of how gimpshop uses X11. apparently there is a way to get gimpshop to work using xdarwin, but I have absolutely no experience with any thing of that nature. I'm wondering if anyone out there has had any success in running gimpshop in leopard or if someone could point to a resource that might aid in my quest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I found a wikipedia page about GIMPShop and it contains an explanation of the problems with 10.5 and the new version of X11:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMPshop

In Mac OS X, GIMPshop is compatible only with Apple operating system 10.3 and 10.4 and requires an installation of Apple X11, based on the X Window System display protocol. Although the latest version of Apple operating system Mac OS X v10.5 installs X11 by default, this version is not compatible with GIMPshop. This is because GIMPshop was based on GIMP 2.2.11, which is no longer updated. The latest version of GIMP, 2.4.3, is compatible with Leopard X11, but GIMPshop has not released a new version based on the latest GIMP codebase.

As for the xDarwin alternative... well it seems xDarwin is now known as xQuartz. I've tried to Google more info, but I can't dig anything up. :(

OP
NolaWegs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
Good stuff, thanks for the help. I guess I'll just have to wait for an updated version of GIMPshop. The more I use GIMP, the easier I find it to be, I see no reason why i shouldn't get used to it in the long run.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.