Apple Airport

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16
I have wep security and I just upgraded to Leopard. However it isn't taking my password.

It isn't taking

password

nor

$password

How do i get it going?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Apple AirPort cards require that you modify the WEP code if you are trying to connect to "third party", i.e. non-Apple Access Points or 802.11b clients:

If you are using a Hexadecimal code, precede the string with a dollar sign ($).

Example: $123456789a

If you are using an ASCII, i.e. alpha-numeric code, enclose the characters in double quotes (").

Example: "magic"

WPA rather the WEP works better.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16
This is the thing. Nothing is working. The hex password doesn't work, the $hex password doesn't work and neither does the plain text version of hex. Fortunately I have a cable connection but it is far from ideal.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did the same password work in Tiger? You said you upgraded to Leopard so figured you were running Tiger at one point?

Also this is a store bought Leopard DVD? Reason I ask is I read somewhere that a person was having your issue and using a pirated developer version.

Also have you upgraded to 10.5.1?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16
This worked fine on Tiger. I am a bit hazy on what I did however I am pretty sure that I put a $ in front of my password.

Leopard is a legit amazon brought copy of Leopard.

When I was originally trying to connect I had a vanilla install of Leopard. I have since run the updates and am still having the same problem.

To clarify... my router is running 64-bit WEP. I have tried...

the hex password. The hex password with a preceding $. Hex password encased with ". The hex password in plain text.

I was hoping the Leopard would just use what was saved on my tiger key chain... are there any tests I can do to see what this problem is?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16
This still isn't working.

I am using 64-bit Wep which has produced a 10 digit code.

I have tried the 10 digit code. I have also tried the 10 digit code with a dollar sign preceding it.

What else can i do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Why don't you set your router for WPA if it's available? It's more secure and works better with newer computers.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16
I don't understand it..

I have the following options..
WPA(With radius server)
WPA-PSK (no server)

I want the second right?

Do I need to format the password when I input it into the mac.

I would like to point out as well that WEP is widely used and it is silly that I can't get it to work on my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It should work, I'm able to connect to WEP networks just fine. But I'm not exactly sure what your problem is with it. It could very well be the router you're using. Which router is it?

But to be honest, WEP is about as good as having no security turned on at all. If you have any control over your network, you want to use WPA. It's more secure.

Yes, you want the second option and no, you don't need special formatting for the password, you just enter the password you create when you turn on WPA (it's no longer a HEX password).

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16
OK made the change, still getting invalid password.

The password in the router is an 8 digit plaintext(letters, no symbols/numbers) password. The same is in my iMac. Invalid..

I have restarted the router. I have restarted my mac. No dice.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16
Please note, XP laptop and Vista desktop not having this issue

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16
I believe I have it working... I am now using 128 WEP. Hopefully it will continue to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.