fedora 8 and grub

Reaction score
Hi. I just got a new aluminum imac and I want to run fedora 8 from an external firewire drive. Is there any way to install grub to the firewire drive instead of the internal hard drive?

OP
R
Reaction score
I should rephrase the question:
will grub work if its installed to an external hard drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
I tried to install and run linux once from external drive (installing grub on the linux partition). But I guess Apple doesn't support booting linux from USB drive or may be I did something wrong. If you're able to get it working then let me know.

To answer your question, you would need to install grub to internal drive and the linux partition on the external drive. But where on the local disk is the question.

OP
R
Reaction score
hmm, well i installed fedora 8 to an external firewire drive. It didn't actually install a bootloader, (at least i think it didn't) so i went and downloaded rEFIt. I put it on my external firewire drive and booted up holding down the option key. I clicked on the "rEFIt" partition and chose to boot linux from /boot. The screen went black and i got a long list of errors and a message saying that apple's firmware wasn't very good with booting from external drives. oh well...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.