How do you send picture messages ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
At the moment, you'd need a 3rd-party app to get this "MMS" feature on the iPhone. This would involve some hacking.... not for the faint-of-heart. However, rumor has it that Apple has an upcoming update for the iPhone that will provide MMS messaging.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Actually guys, some good news on this front. You CAN do it now. It is just not obvious. The following general "recipe" is from the book "iPhone The Missing Manual".

To send an email with a photo attached to another cellphone (essentially, send an MMS), you simply need to know the "magic address" to send to for the network that cellphone is on. Here is the small list that was in the book. It assumes that the cellphone you wanted to send to is (123) 456-7890 (substitute your intended destination wherever you see this number in the list below). For each case, this list shows the wireless carrier your intended party uses, and then the address to send your email to for that carrier:

Alltel: [email protected]
AT&T: [email protected]
Sprint: [email protected]
T-Mobile: [email protected]
US Cellular: [email protected]
Verizon Wireless: [email protected]
Virgin Mobile: [email protected]

To make use of these simple, the book recommends that you simply setup the correct version of the above as a secondary email address in your address book for the person in question. Then it is easy to select it from your contacts list on your iPhone.

Just address your email to any one of the above and you should be "good to go". BTW, I haven't tested this, so I cannot vouch for it.

Reaction score
Actually guys, some good news on this front. You CAN do it now. It is just not obvious. The following general "recipe" is from the book "iPhone The Missing Manual".

To send an email with a photo attached to another cellphone (essentially, send an MMS), you simply need to know the "magic address" to send to for the network that cellphone is on. Here is the small list that was in the book. It assumes that the cellphone you wanted to send to is (123) 456-7890 (substitute your intended destination wherever you see this number in the list below). For each case, this list shows the wireless carrier your intended party uses, and then the address to send your email to for that carrier:

Alltel: [email protected]
AT&T: [email protected]
Sprint: [email protected]
T-Mobile: [email protected]
US Cellular: [email protected]
Verizon Wireless: [email protected]
Virgin Mobile: [email protected]

To make use of these simple, the book recommends that you simply setup the correct version of the above as a secondary email address in your address book for the person in question. Then it is easy to select it from your contacts list on your iPhone.

Just address your email to any one of the above and you should be "good to go". BTW, I haven't tested this, so I cannot vouch for it.

The other cool thing is that this is free texting. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
can anyone confirm that this works??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can anyone confirm that this works??

Confirmed. I just tried it with my wife.... her LG phone supports MMS and it received my text and picture sent by this email workaround just fine.

Now obviously it won't work if the recipient has an iPhone since it doesn't support MMS, although I instead got a website with username/password to retrieve a picture that my wife tried to send to me by MMS to my iPhone.

Reaction score
Confirmed. I just tried it with my wife.... her LG phone supports MMS and it received my text and picture sent by this email workaround just fine.

Now obviously it won't work if the recipient has an iPhone since it doesn't support MMS, although I instead got a website with username/password to retrieve a picture that my wife tried to send to me by MMS to my iPhone.

That is when you have the sender send their picture text to your email account that is synced to your iphone.

Reaction score
does anybody know if there is one of these email addresses available for the O2 iPhone network in the UK?????

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
An alternate verizon address is [email protected] :: no '1' in front. Just use the 10 characters.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.