• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

imac compatibility with Samsung mini dvd

Reaction score
I just bought a Samsung mini dvd camcorder and discovered that it only is compatible with Windows. Does anyone know:

1) Can I somehow play a mini dvd in my imac directly in the dvd player and do i need to run the windows portion of my computer or can i use the mac os x?

2) Is there some sort of work around to plug this camera in via usb and get it to work on the mac?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jan 08 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8 Core, 10GB Ram, 2.25TB, ATi Radeon 3870.
I just bought a Samsung mini dvd camcorder and discovered that it only is compatible with Windows. Does anyone know:

1) Can I somehow play a mini dvd in my imac directly in the dvd player and do i need to run the windows portion of my computer or can i use the mac os x?

2) Is there some sort of work around to plug this camera in via usb and get it to work on the mac?

Thanks

I'm not 100% familiar with MiniDVD cams but I'll try.

Once you finalize the DVD it should be playable in ANY machine. Whether it be a set-top DVD player, xbox360, or Mac. From there, you should be able to use some sort of software to rip the video from the disc. Once that is done, you will have to re-encode the files from VOB to something that is readable by iMac (.mov using the h.264 codec would provide the best quality to file size ratio).

As far as using the camera vis USB, that is something you would have to find out from Samsung. If they have a way to connect it via USB, I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be compatible with Mac OS. Check out the Samsung website and see if they have any instructions for USB capture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
As stated in you other post, do not put a mini dvd in a slot loading drive. You will not get it out. Since you just bought it, you should take it back if you plan on doing any editing outside of the camera. You will loose picture quality every step of the way converting it from a already compressed DVD. I had a mini DVD camera prior to switching to mac. I wound up selling it on ebay for money to buy something that was compatible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.