PDA

View Full Version : Whats with all the mystery of cloverfield?!?

I Can Has Mac!
12-22-2007, 07:39 PM
you know the preview where theres a going away party for a friend then the building shakes and you hear a roar when they go outside the statue of libertys head rolls by and they scream OMG OMG!! It left me wondering wth is this.

theres videos all over youtube of speculation but theres no story line to be found other than its not godzilla. some people think it will be a power rangers movie( definantly not). From what i gather its based on a book that has no author to be found. any input?

giulio
12-22-2007, 08:55 PM
I spent lots of time on this in the height of the hype time. I ended up at the conclusion that it's just a movie about a very large monster in NYC. Like godzilla, but not.

Kash
12-22-2007, 11:04 PM
It's pretty much a giant monster movie. It's supposed to serve as the American version of Godzilla, as in it's supposed to represent to us post 9/11 what Godzilla represented to the Japanese following WWII. It's a means for us to deal with the events. Now you may think it's horribly tacky to use 9/11 to make a monster movie, but the Japanese did it for a tragedy that was far greater in scale and it did a pretty good job in getting the Japanese to advance as a society. Perhaps Cloverfield will do the same for us.

Putting aside the symbolism, how can you not like a giant monster movie? Especially one produced by the very capable JJ Abrams? :D

Shannonb
12-23-2007, 01:19 AM
shooooooooooooo...BOOM!!!.

That's the sound of it bombing at the box office.

Kash
12-23-2007, 01:32 AM
I think they've done a tremendous job of marketing the movie. It will do really well opening weekend simply because people want to know what happens. And if it turns out to be even a decent movie, then word-of-mouth reviews will further drive ticket sales.

I have high hopes for this movie and am hoping that I'm not disappointed...