shared email, contacts, and address book?

Reaction score
Let's say I have two iMacs hardwired to a router and a NAS device also hardwired to that router. Both iMacs have identical versions of OS X and identical programs installed. Could I set up Mail so that when I download the message from the server (comcast.net) using iMac #1, the message and its attachments are stored on the NAS and are fully accessible by iMac #2? In such a way that I can open the message, forward it, delete it, etc. from either mac? Also, can I store all contacts in my address book on the NAS so that they are accessible and editable (is that a word?) by either computer?

I won't take possession of iMac #1 until late next week, but if it wins over the wife as I suspect it will, iMac #2 won't be far behind. I'd love to share as many files as possible between the two computers for convenience with the applications/programs on the local machines; the data itself (whether it be music, photos, videos, or email) on the NAS.

As a recent switcher (like, 5 hours ago), I'd appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

James

Reaction score
Why not just configure the mail client with IMAP, and just enable file sharing through the System Preference's?

-Jay

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, Jay. I've never heard of IMAP before, but a quick google search led me to http://www.imap.org/about/whatisIMAP.html. Yep, this is pretty much what I was looking for. I still have a lot of reading to do on the subject before the iMac arrives. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to set up.

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Pony up the $99 for .Mac which allows IMAP email and shared contacts and calendar + many other features.

www.mac.com

OP
J
Reaction score
Good suggestions so far. I'll have to wait until after the holidays to check with my ISP to see if they allow IMAP accounts.

As for .mac, how does it work with my existing email account? Would I have to change my email address for all those accounts where I need it (online shopping, forums and whatnot...and I need my email address for a LOT of places online)? Would I have to send notices to all my contacts telling them to send all further correspondence to "@mac"? Or if someone sends me an email @comcast.net, will it automatically get forwarded to my @mac address? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but IMAP mail is all new to me. I don't have a problem with paying for the .mac Family Pack, but I'd like to get a little more info from those that use it.

Also, I read that its a bad idea to have one's .pst file (which hold all your Microsoft Outlook data) on a server (http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=297019) because of possible file corruption when writing to or reading from the shared drive. Does anyone know if this holds true for the master file that holds Mac Mail information...if there is such a thing?

James

Reaction score
Just try selecting from POP to IMAP. See if it works... If not then no dice, if so problem solved. I often refer gMail, HotMail, and Yahoo IMAP like mail services. I have my own domain, and I can use either. Also most service provides / ISP's will let you keep your messages on the server, as long as it doesn't exceed their mailbox size limit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.