• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Today I learned a valuable lesson

Reaction score
While carrying my laptop and external hard drive downstairs for a day of laziness in front of the TV I dropped the external hard drive from my waist height on to the carpeted floor (Doh!)I thought the drive would be ok since the carpet is thick and the external casing seemed quite shock absorbent. I plugged it in to my laptop and it was dead. Opened up the case to find the drive clicking, so I thought I might have dislodged the needle. After 10 mins of shaking the drive I did it and it appeared on my desktop. I’m now transferring many gig's of data to my laptop at a lightning speed of 2mb/s :D I was almost going to try the freezer method.
The moral of the story: always backup your data to more than one source.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
A birdcage fell on my MacBook Pro once. Cracked the screen. Still haven't got it fixed.

Moral: Don't put your MBP under a birdcage?

Glad to hear you didn't lose all of your data though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.