Newbie Question about Upgrading OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2008 MacBook Pro- 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory upgrade
Hi I am a poor student so I am currently using 10.2.8 on my computer. It is now so old that I can't download new versions of web browsers etc. so I know that I NEED to upgrade. I have a fairly old 1GHz Powerbook G4 with 512 MB of Memory. I have heard that the latest OS 10.5 significantly slows down the older computers and was trying to figure out if I should purchase an older operating system such as 10.4 or if I should get 10.5. Also I was looking into buying 10.4 and the person selling said I would also need to buy 10.3 because I can't upgrade directly from 10.2.8 is that true? I looked on the mac site and it didn't say anything about that, just that I needed a G3, G4, or G5 and that I needed 256MB of Memory and 3GB free space on the Hard drive. I am sorry if these are dumb questions, I don't really know much about computers, so thanks for your time. If any of you can help me I would really appreciate it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I'm pretty sure that the guys wrong, but I might be wrong, anyway i suggest 10.4 leopard would definetaly bog you down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
I would suggest a clean install of which ever version of OS X you get. I would go with Tiger in your situation. Why? You mentioned you're poor so Tiger will be cheaper, 512MB RAM is pretty small (it meets only the min amount of RAM for Leopard), and you're barely over the min processor speed too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I have the same PB with the same specs, and Tiger runs nicely. You could purchase Tiger and install it on your PB, there is no upgrade path.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.