• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Hobbit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Woohoo! Just wish it was a little sooner.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Wow, good to hear. Just wonder why it has to be made into two movies. Since the three Lord of the Rings books were made into only three movies. Does that mean they are working larger DVD sales. An example would be both movies on DVD and then the extended versions. Followed by the one complete version (both movies and the extended).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Wow, good to hear. Just wonder why it has to be made into two movies.
Simple. Money... huge piles of money. They're going to shoot them simultaneously. Actually, it will probably be just one schedule. Then when it comes time to edit, they will split it into two movies there.

So.....They make two movies, you pay to see both in the theater. They get twice the admission cost that way.
Then you pay for both of the DVD's when they come out. They get twice the price of the DVD then.
Later on, they release a boxed-set of all the movies with "extra" features. You buy them again. They get even more money.

Yes,... soul-crushing piles of money. That is why they are making it into two movies. Because people are crazy enough to pay for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Simple. Money... huge piles of money. They're going to shoot them simultaneously. Actually, it will probably be just one schedule. Then when it comes time to edit, they will split it into two movies there.

So.....They make two movies, you pay to see both in the theater. They get twice the admission cost that way.
Then you pay for both of the DVD's when they come out. They get twice the price of the DVD then.
Later on, they release a boxed-set of all the movies with "extra" features. You buy them again. They get even more money.

Yes,... soul-crushing piles of money. That is why they are making it into two movies. Because people are crazy enough to pay for it.

To be honest, that really annoys me. It's nothing but simple greed....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
To be honest, that really annoys me. It's nothing but simple greed....
Yeah, me too. Sad, but nevertheless true.

I'm not sure what annoys me more... the fact that studios do stuff like this to the viewing public... or that there is actually a viewing public out there that will actually pay to have it done to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Sure, it annoys me, but if they put the whole thing in one, it might miss a lot of stuff that's really essential... unless they made a 6 hour long movie...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Sure, it annoys me, but if they put the whole thing in one, it might miss a lot of stuff that's really essential... unless they made a 6 hour long movie...
They were much longer in literary form than The Hobbit, yet those three books all made it to one movie each.

You aren't going to 'miss' anything, nor have the need to make the movie 6 hours long. Besides, no movie based on a book has ever been pinpoint accurate to the written page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
They were much longer in literary form than The Hobbit, yet those three books all made it to one movie each.

You aren't going to 'miss' anything, nor have the need to make the movie 6 hours long. Besides, no movie based on a book has ever been pinpoint accurate to the written page.

And much was cut out from the story in the trilogy. Entire characters are simply missing. Ideally, each book would have had two movies each. Also, the LotRs trilogy was filmed mostly at the same time as well. It is simply more cost efficient to do so.

Call it greed, whatever. I would rather have two full movies than one crammed movie with content missing. I would even pay TWICE as much to see them. In fact, I guarantee that 90% of people will feel the same way when it comes to seeing the movies. I get a better movie going experience, the movie theaters (which are not exactly raking in the money) and the studios will make more profit. This is the epitome of what our country is about! Don't make it sound so horrible!

I truly hate saying this, but if you don't have to see the movies! If enough people decide to not see it, studios will stop splitting movies and start putting them into one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.