garageband help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook / 2.16 GHz C2D / 2 GB Ram / 320 GB HDD
i'm having major issues with all of my projects coming out too quiet. no matter how loud i crank everything up, it's too quiet. i can get the mix i like, raise the main volume as high as i can without clipping, bounce...too quiet. i normalize the project and everything.

i tried sound studio 3 to 'master' the song. i condensed the sound wave, then raised the volume up, but the audio suffers; getting muffled and distorted as soon as i reach a volume comparable to songs in my itunes library.

what else should i try? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

-doug

kit

Reaction score
i have the same problem with garageband. when i listen to songs in garageband they sound fine, but when i export them to itunes they come out a lot quieter. i'm not sure how to fix it (that's what i was browsing this board for today). the only 'fix' i have so far is recording my tracks at the loudest volume i can. the purple soundwave display thing can be maxed out without distorting the audio. the end result is still noticably softer than mp3's ripped from a cd, though.

i've read about a program called audio hijack on this board that might be worth trying, but i havent used it yet....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
I usually have to jack up the master track to get a decent volume. You could also try the volume adjustment feature after you export to itunes. Click the song- Get info>Options>volume adjustment.
Otherwise, keep cranking up that master track! ;)

Reaction score
I also have this problem with creating ringtones for the Iphone they come out really quiet and if you turn up the master volume all the way they come out all distorted and you cant understand it.

Reaction score
Yeah, I usually just end up cranking the master volume in iTunes too. Or sometimes, when the song is in iTunes, you can 'control-click' and go to the options tab. There is a slider you can adjust the volume with.

Hope that helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.