AirPort Extreme 802.11n Enabler on Mac Mini?

Reaction score
I'm probably going to get a Mac Mini soon, but I noticed it can only go up to 802.11g wi-fi. Would the AirPort Extreme 802.11n Enabler on the online Apple Store work on a Mac Mini? All it says you need is a Mac with Core 2 Duo - which is what the new Minis have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Sorry Cherokee, but that's not entirely correct. The Mac Mini is the one exception when it comes to 802.11n. It only comes with 802.11g and if you run the enabler, you'll still be at 802.11g. You can't add a feature via software if the hardware isn't there.

Also incorrect about your post is the last bit. If you have an 802.11g device on a 802.11n network, the entire network doesn't slow down to G speeds, just when you're transferring files to and from that G device. If you're transferring files between N devices and/or those hooked up via Ethernet, you're going to get the full N speed, regardless of whether a G device is connected.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, I had this weird feeling that this wouldn't apply to the Mac Mini. It seems to be Apple's "lowest priority machine".

Reaction score
This link shows that the Mac Mini isn't wireless N capable. Kash is right. Sorry for the misinformation. :Oops:

However, it also says this concerning network speeds.

Based on a comparison with Apple's 802.11g products. Comparison assumes AirPort Extreme network with 802.11n-enabled computer. Speed and range will be less if an 802.11a/b/g product joins the network. Accessing the wireless network requires an AirPort- or AirPort Extreme-enabled computer or other Wi-Fi Certified 802.11a/b/g-enabled computer. Actual performance will vary based on range, connection rate, site conditions, size of network, and other factors. Range will vary with site conditions.

It says speeds will be less if wireless G joins the network, which is what I posted. It doesn't say anything about speeds slowing only if accessing files from G devices.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but several posts have been made on these forums which state the same thing I did. I did a search and none of those posts have been corrected as far as I can tell.

I'm fine with being wrong. Everybody makes mistakes, right?

I would like to know the correct information though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.