Really confusing problem on my mac HELP?

S

super macman

Hi There folks,
I am having severe problems with my G3, it is crashing all the time and when it does the Norton disk doctor cant fix it, Iam running mac os 9, I heard using the apple media CD player, can cause the mac to crash and stuff up your machine. Has anyone else heard of this? :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
When you say disk doctor can't fix it, does it see a problem?

Does it crash in different applications?

Have you checked to see if it an extension problem?
If you haven't checked then turn on just the "Base" and see if the problem is still there. If no problem, then start turning a few on at a time and see which one(s) is corrupted/conflicting.

Also, it could be a RAM problem.

OP
S

super macman

It will quit during any application, to fix it I have to boot up from the Norton Disk, and use the emergency program, Norton keeps coming up with problems to do with the header node and the catalogue b tree. Then finally it says that there is problem and norton cant continue.?????????????? Totally stumped

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
If it has errors that it can't fix and you continue to use the drive, you are taking a big chance on losing some or all of your data. Have you tried to correct the error in Disk First Aid? Another utility is Disk Warrior, it can usually fix those type of problems.

If you have the option to do so, rather than using a utility to correct the errors, backup the drive and reformat it. That would clear up your directory problems at let you start fresh.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.