iPhone idea

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33 ghz, 15 inch, 3gb ram.
I suppose this could have been posted under the iphone ipod section but considering it doesn't exist and is purely fictional, I thought it would be better suited here.

So I was wondering the other day why google and apple haven't gotten together with a GPS software update for the iphone. It seems as though it would be rather easy and the GPS software would certainly make the google maps and turn by turn directions more efficient and I'm pretty sure most other GPS cell phones have this capability.

Any ideas why they can't do this or any thoughts on if they might be doing it?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33 ghz, 15 inch, 3gb ram.
I suppose this could have been posted under the iphone ipod section but considering it doesn't exist and is purely fictional, I thought it would be better suited here.

So I was wondering the other day why google and apple haven't gotten together with a GPS software update for the iphone. It seems as though it would be rather easy and the GPS software would certainly make the google maps and turn by turn directions more efficient and I'm pretty sure most other GPS cell phones have this capability.

Any ideas why they can't do this or any thoughts on if they might be doing it?

Reaction score
I think in Feb we might see some software like that when the iphone software is opened up to 3rd party developers.

I am hoping for a good ebook reader.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's not just software that you need to enable live GPS. See, there's this little thing called a GPS antenna to acquires satellite signals. The iPhone doesn't have this little, but significant, piece of hardware. So all the software in the world isn't going to get that iPhone to give you live GPS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Would be a handy feature...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Retina
gps sounds good and i have it on my nokia n95..... however response is the issue particularly if you are in town in and out of buildings and subways. the n 95 just can't keep up with maps and fixing onto satellites..... i'm better off asking directions.

Reaction score
It's not just software that you need to enable live GPS. See, there's this little thing called a GPS antenna to acquires satellite signals. The iPhone doesn't have this little, but significant, piece of hardware. So all the software in the world isn't going to get that iPhone to give you live GPS.

True GPS - correct. But google has apparently been working on cell-tower based triangulation in conconjunction with its mobile maps to give gps-like functionality to gps-less phones.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/28/google-mobile-maps-pinpoints-your-location-without-gps/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Don't all cellphones have GPS in them, for emergencies?
I have a crappy old Samsung that was basically free from Verizon, and it has the option of GPS 'location on' or '911 only'.
It would be hard to believe that so many cheap phones has such specific hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a different service where they use cell tower triangulation. It's currently only available to emergency personnel, but like jc1350 said, perhaps software could be created to take advantage of this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Google has already built the cell-based method of finding your location into their mobile map application. You can download it to your phone now, but not the iPhone!! :Angry:

I thought Apple and Google were pretty close, but I guess not close enough for them to make this work with the iPhone. Or maybe it's Apple who is dragging their feet and not offering it. Maybe having a feature like that would delude a similar soon-to-come feature . . .

Even if Apple doesn't get off their duff and make it, hopefully someone will.

Reaction score
No, most phones do NOT have GPS built in. More are being made with the GPS chip in there these days.
The phone you have probably used the GPS information from the closest tower and triangulated off 2 other close towers to give GPS location information. Its not true GPS, but it was marketed that way and its one way to locate cell phones (per e911 requirements location information is mandotary to provide to the psap or 911 call center, different carriers used different methods of location)

I have a crappy old Samsung that was basically free from Verizon, and it has the option of GPS 'location on' or '911 only'.
It would be hard to believe that so many cheap phones has such specific hardware.

Reaction score
If you search around the software already exists for the iphone to use the triangulation method. It works fairly well, within .5 blocks has been my experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Google has already built the cell-based method of finding your location into their mobile map application. You can download it to your phone now, but not the iPhone!! :Angry:

I thought Apple and Google were pretty close, but I guess not close enough for them to make this work with the iPhone. Or maybe it's Apple who is dragging their feet and not offering it. Maybe having a feature like that would delude a similar soon-to-come feature . . .

Even if Apple doesn't get off their duff and make it, hopefully someone will.

Problem is that you simply can't download and install stuff directly from the iPhone. In order for the Google Maps app on the iPhone to get the latest GPS tech, we would have to wait for Apple to include it in a firmware update.

If you search around the software already exists for the iphone to use the triangulation method. It works fairly well, within .5 blocks has been my experience.

I've tried it too and it just doesn't seem to work for me, which is odd because I live in the northeast, where cell phone coverage is really good. Heck, I even tried in Manhattan to no luck :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)

nope thats cell triangulation using cell towers. our batteries would take a big hit if so

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.