Does formating the hard disk decrease its life span?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
Does formating the hard disk decrease its life span? Are there any solid research paper or statement that shows it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you want to use a hard disk with any modern OS then you have to format it first... so I don't see the downside of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
It would have said just using it shortens its life span. I've even seen em dead straight out of the box unused........but no not anything that you could measure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I can't find a paper, but I am pretty sure it is healthy to format your hard drive every once in a while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
If you assume the drive can write an arbitrary fixed amount before it fails - in the same way you might measure the life of your liver - then yes, but formatting is no different to writing any other data to it and doesn't affect the life of the drive any differently.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am personally still using a 40GB WD drive that is now at least 8 yrs old as one of the backups on my XP machine.

That drive has seen a change in Operating System, partition format, change in partition sizes, etc., a minimum of 75-100 times I would guess.

Reaction score
Funny things, hard drives. The MTBF (mean time between failures) can be 500,000 hours. Seagate makes a model which brags 1.2 million hours which is longer than any of us will be alive. And yet I have seen them dead out of the box.
There are different types of reformatting also. The simplest one, erasing the directory, is pretty harmless. But doing a full 35 pass security erase is quite the aerobic workout. If a drive is going to fail, it might not make it through that. Similarly, many drives have failed because system installs are also quite demanding.

Reaction score
- in the same way you might measure the life of your liver -
That's the last time I'll reformat my liver, and at eggnog-and-rum time, too, worse luck!

I think it's making crackling noises. How do I back it up before it fails?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I doubt that any of us will be able to reformat a hard drive enough times to make it fail from that alone. That being said, all of us are going to buy an unlucky drive with a short life span at least once each decade.

If your hard drive is making noises, or if you haven't done a backup in a while, the simple thing to do is simply copy your documents, photos, and other important data to DVD or an external hard drive.

Typically, I don't waste my time making backups of applications, as they can be reinstalled using your existing original media. I only want the data - the stuff that I created and have no other copies of. Be sure to include your email directories and photo libraries as well.

Also remember, making backup copies is great, but failing to make sure they work properly can cost you. Once in a while, take your archive media and try to access the files contained within it. Make sure that you can access and open your documents. Otherwise, you're still waiting on a disaster.

Good luck,
Perry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
Also remember, making backup copies is great, but failing to make sure they work properly can cost you. Once in a while, take your archive media and try to access the files contained within it. Make sure that you can access and open your documents. Otherwise, you're still waiting on a disaster.

Word. In particular, don't rely on CD-Rs and CD-RWs for backups. CD-RWs are the worst of the two and can become unusable in less than two years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.