• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

PSP or DS: 35 yr old dude

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
I have two kids, boys, under 10. My wife and I decided to get them both DS Lites this year. So we traded in the two Game Boy Advances and picked up two DS Lites at the local Game Stop...$80 for each new DS. It was so promotion for $99 and the guy gave us $20 more from some flyer in the paper...anyway

I have a PSP, one of the original black ones. Honestly I hardly ever play it. Last game I bought was Maddden 06 if that tells you anything. The boys and I have a blast playing Wii together and I don't want to feel left out on Christmas morning.

Are there enough challenging titles and fun stuff for a 35 year old adult to justify trading in his PSP and get a DS? I understand that the three of us will be ale to play games together via the DS' wireless system, so that sound like real fun.

I stopped by today, and they told me they would give $50 for my PSP and a few bucks for the games I have. So I would only be investing about $80 or so on a unit for me.

Anyone have any advice for me? Thanks

Reaction score
I've had both and only have the DS lite and I don't regret it at all. I say go for it. I'm pretty sure you'll have fun with it. If not, you can always return it right?

OP
JohnJohn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've had both and only have the DS lite and I don't regret it at all. I say go for it. I'm pretty sure you'll have fun with it. If not, you can always return it right?

Yeah I can return it. I just would hate to drop $80-$90 on something I may not get into...wait I already dropped twice that much on my original PSP.

Reaction score
Can you not get at least $100 for your old PSP on eBay? I sold my PSP awhile ago because I never played it because I had a DS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I would say definitely get the DS. I think they're awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
lol @ PSP

But seriously...dump it. Get a DS. The games on it are phenomenal. There is no reason NOT to get one.

Reaction score
I recommend Hotel Dusk for DS if you get one, fun game, definitely under-rated.

Reaction score
Get brain age for your DS! (I just saw a commercial for it!:D )

Personally never had either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I think DS would be a good choice. They make a lot of puzzle games and other things you might be interested in. I haven't owned either though. If I had to buy one, I would choose the DS. It seems more fun and seems like it would have more longevity than the PSP. I prefer PS3 over Wii though.

OP
JohnJohn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone, I'll try eBay or maybe Craigslist for a quicker sale.

Then I'll run down and pick up a DS. I'll give Hotel Dusk a whirl. Any titles you can't live without?

We have a 360 and a Wii. I actually prefer the 360 when playing by myself, but nothing beats Mario Soccer with the boys. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I've never used a DS, but I love my PSP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz, eMac 800Mhz, iPod (3G) 15Gig
Best game i have played for the DS is Elite Beat Agents.

Other notable games are Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Advance Wars, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, Phoenix Wright, Castlevania, Lunar Knights, Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, Puzzle Quest, Mario Party DS, Trauma Center, Contra 4, Animal Crossing...the list goes on.

Reaction score
Mario Party DS is pretty fun and you only need one game to play between 4 people which is cool. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I'm 24 and I've got a DS Lite and I love it :3
There's loads of games on it that appeal to older players and over here there are a lot of retro games being released that I used to play on my old consoles as a kid so there's nostalgia appeal too!

I say go for it! I'm really impressed with the Nintendo stuff at the moment *blows dust off Xbox 360*

OP
JohnJohn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great. I think I will have some time to pick one up tomorrow.

First thing I am going to do is swipe the kids GB Advance version of "Excitebike". Maybe I can make them think they lost it O:) kidding

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Get a DS... besides... you can always play games with your kids via wireless! and you dont all need to own the same game! (one game cart can download the files [temporarily] to the other DS so you can all play the same game in multiplayer without having to buy three or more copies)

Reaction score
I used to have a PSP but sold it. I got it after the first week or so after release since i was out of the country on it's release. At first i liked it but after the first two games i initially brought were completed i found that there was no decent games out for it.
I would say the PSP is great if your want to experience the best in handheld graphics and want to play titles like GTA.
I would get a DS much more fun and more interactive plus you could play against your sons on their DS's.
Their are loads of titles aimed at all age ranges brain training seems popular so maybe you could give your noggin a work out with it aswel as playing more conventional games.

OP
JohnJohn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to have a PSP but sold it. I got it after the first week or so after release since i was out of the country on it's release. At first i liked it but after the first two games i initially brought were completed i found that there was no decent games out for it.
I would say the PSP is great if your want to experience the best in handheld graphics and want to play titles like GTA.
I would get a DS much more fun and more interactive plus you could play against your sons on their DS's.
Their are loads of titles aimed at all age ranges brain training seems popular so maybe you could give your noggin a work out with it aswel as playing more conventional games.

You must be reviewing my other posts. I need me some Brain Age work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IIgs | G4 tower (gbe) | nano | macbook 2.2 coreduo, 2gb ;)
Get a DS. I have a lot of experience with this sort of thing :)

I recommend the DS because the quality of the games that are on it. Don't be sold by "bigger screen" or "umd movies". There are good games on both of the systems, but on the DS there are a much higher concentration of quality and fun games than on the PSP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Black, 13.3 inch, glossy screen, super cool
Definitely get the DS! I love mine.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.