Moving programs from PC to IMac 10.5.1

Reaction score
I have many programs on my old PC which I want to use on my new Imac. I did buy Fusion so I can run my genealogy software but will deal with that later.
1 question is how to tell if the program will run on Mac?
I have an external HD so I can copy to HD then copy to IMac.
If the creator says it will run on Mac I can then transfer from the HD. Do I make a new folder? Where? The programs are have exe extension but Mac doesn't open them
Can someone guide me with specific steps.
I used PC's since DOS1 and there are so many differences.

I have downloaded Neoofice so far. Took overnight as I am dialup.
Also successfully using Thunderbird and Firefox.

They downloaded to the desktop and is it a good place to keep them? Will get real messy.
I like the dock and prefer to have program aliases?s there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
1. You can not run .exe programs on Macs. Pure and simple. If the author of your program that you want to use says that it runs on Mac, you need to go to the developer's website and download the Mac version of the program.

2. Any downloaded programs you will want to put into the Applications folder. It is located just inside the icon for your hard drive, by default named Macintosh HD. Inside there is a folder named Applications, where all (most) of the programs you will use are located.

3. To put an application on the Dock so it is always accessible, you can do one of two things:
a. Open Macintosh HD and drag the Applications folder icon down to the dock and place it next to the 'Downloads' and 'Documents' stacks icons or,
b. Open Applications and drag the program icon you want down onto the dock next to any of the other program icons.

Cheers, and welcome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.