OS9 Problems with iMac DV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac 7200/75: Mac OS 7.6.1; iMac 233mhz Mac OS X 10.1.5; PowerBook 180c, Mac OS 7.5.3
I just bought a 400MHz iMac DV with 10GB HD and 192MB RAM off eBay, recieved it today. I've spent some time with it, and each time I boot up I have a small (large) problem. It boots up fine, but then when it gets to the desktop everything seems to freeze up. I can move the mouse but can't click... it seems like everything goes back to normal once the control strip appears but that takes several minutes (I have even disabled the control strip extension, but it keeps coming back). I have had to press the power button to put it into sleep (that's when I know it's responsive) and then bring it back, and it's fine.

I'm pretty sure this is NOT normal and am wondering if there is anything I can do within OS9 to fix it. The system has 9.2.2. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Do I just need to start fresh with a clean install?

Thanks

Reaction score
If you do a clean install from an OS 9 dics that did not come with the Imac,
make shure you have the right firmwear installed on the machine for a DV Imac.
Try just to reinstall the system and not nuke the drive.

Reaction score
Restart while holding down the Shift key. This prevents all extensions except Apple's rock-bottom basic set from loading. If the machine boots properly, you know the problem is caused by an extension, probably one by a third party. If that's the problem, you'll have to isolate the problem extension(s).

You could run Disk First Aid from the install disk. It's a notoriously weak fixer-upper with OS 9, but even if it can't fix the problem, it might tell you what it is.

Reaction score
Reaching back into my ancient brain, I remember that the Control Strip had a chronic problem with its preference file. Go in the System Folder, Preferences, and toss Control Strip Preferences. Restart. Might work!
If that doesn't do it, then move the entire Preferences folder to the desktop, restart. Then you can weed out the offending pref or toss the whole thing.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac 7200/75: Mac OS 7.6.1; iMac 233mhz Mac OS X 10.1.5; PowerBook 180c, Mac OS 7.5.3
Thanks guys for the responses... I tried turning extensions off but it only seems to work properly when all the non-base extensions are off. I'll try the preferences. I just ordered an OS9 CD specifically for the iMac DV, so I'll eventually reinstall if it doesn't work.

I think after a memory upgrade I'll look at putting Panther on it, and maybe a new hard drive (this one makes a lot of noise, which could be bad).

On another note, we have had high speed internet for almost two years but never needed a router. Now that I need to get internet to the iMac, could I get by with just buying a cheap ethernet switch?

Reaction score
I tried turning extensions off but it only seems to work properly when all the non-base extensions are off.
Using the Extension Manager or by manually dragging the extensions from the Extensions folder into the Extensions (Disabled) folder, move half of them into the Disabled folder. Then restart the Mac. (Moving them by halves is far less tedious and faster than moving them one by one and restarting each time.)

If the machine still doesn't start properly, you know the problem extension(s) remain(s) in the Extensions folder. Move the extensions you disabled back into the Extensions folder, and move the remaining half into the Disabled folder. Restart.

If the machine starts properly, the bad extension is in the Disabled folder. Move half the remaining extensions in the Disabled folder to the Extensions folder. Restart. Keep moving them by halves and restarting until you narrow it down to the troublesome extension. When you find it, put it in the Extensions folder but rename it, possibly by inserting a space at the beginning of its name. That will ensure it loads first. By doing so, it might end any conflict with the next or previously loading extension. But if that doesn't work after yet another restart, it's had it.

You can label the extensions you move back and forth with different colours to prevent confusion.

Sorry; I can't answer your router question.

Reaction score
You will need to upgrade to OS 9.2 before you install 10, Be shure to download the Imac firmwear update before you install OS 10. The boot rom will be 4.19.
With out the firmwear update you can burn up the video chip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.