New to macs, help needed transfering files.

Reaction score
So I have just got a new MBP 2.2 for christmas and I am wanting to copy my itunes music (4GB) to it. I have songs I have downloaded from IMS and some from limewire.

What is the best way of doing this ? I'm thinking a USB pen ?

I remember doing something similar years ago and I got all these exclamation marks because I hadn't copied both files over or something. Could someone please elaberate.

BTW this machine is amazing, bye bye windows :)

Reaction score
The best way to copy your iTunes library is by using the "Back Up to Disc" function in iTunes. This will allow you to copy all of your music to CDs. 4 GB will probably take around 8 blank CDs.

Open iTunes and go to: File > Back Up to Disc.

This will start the process of burning the songs onto CDs.

When you put the CDs into your new MacBook SuperDrive, you will be prompted on what to do to get them into iTunes.

It's as easy as can be.

It's a good way to do it because you then have a copy of your whole library on CD in case you have a failure of some type.

Put the CDs in a safe place in case you need them in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
A usb pen or a dvd with the files on will do the trick.
Just open iTunes and drag the files from the stick or the disc over the iTunes window. You should see a little green + in a circle, and that's it, it will import to your iTunes library and away you go.

OP
jmunton11
Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply guys but will I not need alot of cds to transfer all my music.

Kevriano, the method you described, will there not be any !!!'s when I import onto my new mac and will this work for limewire and IMS songs alike.

Thanks

Reaction score
Did you obtain any of the music illegally? If so, we can't discuss it any further due to forum rules.

I prefer the "Back Up to Disk" method because it's a good idea to have a back up that's not on a computer or external drive that could be stolen or broken.

You would need quite a few CDs, but they're cheap. You can use DVDs as well.

I used CDs last time because I have a stack of 100 that I'll never use up!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.