Help !!

Reaction score
I'm preparing to switch to Leopard and a few things I need to know won't cause issues --

I installed boot camp under Tiger and created a partition for Windows XP, I think it was 10.5 GB, but I wasn't able to install Windows with my CD, and I want to get rid of this and empty the space, as Leopard has boot camp and it might cause issues when I Archive and Install.

How do I delete this partition? In Disk Utility I suppose ? I see a partition there called dsk0s3, partition type Microsoft Basic Data, 10.5 GB. Or can this partition be erased using Bootcamp?

A question about Archive and Install -- will my mail in Thunderbird and Mail, Addressbook and iCal prefs, movies, music, and photos, still be in their places or do I have to manually move them from the previous archived system folder?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm preparing to switch to Leopard and a few things I need to know won't cause issues --

I installed boot camp under Tiger and created a partition for Windows XP, I think it was 10.5 GB, but I wasn't able to install Windows with my CD, and I want to get rid of this and empty the space, as Leopard has boot camp and it might cause issues when I Archive and Install.

How do I delete this partition? In Disk Utility I suppose ? I see a partition there called dsk0s3, partition type Microsoft Basic Data, 10.5 GB. Or can this partition be erased using Bootcamp?

Use the Boot Camp Assistant (Applications => Utilities) to remove the Boot Camp partition prior to installing Leopard.

A question about Archive and Install -- will my mail in Thunderbird and Mail, Addressbook and iCal prefs, movies, music, and photos, still be in their places or do I have to manually move them from the previous archived system folder?

Everything will be the same as it was before the upgrade, except that the old OS will be in a folder at the root of the system drive. Once you've determined that you don't want to go back to Tiger, you may delete it.

Don't forget to do a backup before you make any changes at all.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi, tried following the instructions on Bootcamp, but get only three choices -

1 - Burn a Mac Windows Drivers Disc

2- Start the Windows Installer

3- Restore startup disk to single volume

I get the first two, don't understand what third option entails, is this for removing the partition ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi, tried following the instructions on Bootcamp, but get only three choices -

1 - Burn a Mac Windows Drivers Disc

2- Start the Windows Installer

3- Restore startup disk to single volume

I get the first two, don't understand what third option entails, is this for removing the partition ?

Exactly, the third option literally means that you want to put the hard disk back the way it was before you created the Windows partition.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, worked like a charm.

Just needed to make sure, for scary things involving the words 'partition', 'volume', 'sudo' and 'Terminal.'

Mac community is always helpful !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.