Looking for easy to use NAS Hard Drive

Reaction score
I currently use a Hard Drive plugged into my Airport Extreme Base Station. Unfortunately it's just so slow and has a lot of reliablility problems. I was hoping with time updates would improve this. Now I've decided to get another hard drive that would be a NAS Hard Drive that I can plug directly onto my Home Network via Ethernet. I would prefer one still that has Firewire and/or USB so I have other connection options if my needs change.
My questions:
1. I'm still new to the Mac and especially when it comes to networking. I like how with the AEBS Hard Drive when it works it automatically shows up on my Mac like a hard drive volume. There is no need to log onto it when I use my Mac or anything. Will it be as easy with a NAS?
2. I've heard something about SMB Server and how any hard drive that's a NAS will be like this. Does this mean I do have to log on to use it and it won't be as easy?
3. I hear a lot about how I have to have one formatted as HFS+. Do all NAS drives do this or do you have to have one with that option?
4. Also, I hear the big thing to look for is one that has AFP. I know it's some type of Apple protocol. If so, would that make it easier to use and operate more like a AEBS Airdisk?
5. Lastly, assuming it's best to go with one that is HFS+/AFP I know there are few on the market. What are some good brands/models to look for?

Thanks for any help with the above questions.

Reaction score
I currently use a Hard Drive plugged into my Airport Extreme Base Station. Unfortunately it's just so slow and has a lot of reliablility problems. I was hoping with time updates would improve this. Now I've decided to get another hard drive that would be a NAS Hard Drive that I can plug directly onto my Home Network via Ethernet. I would prefer one still that has Firewire and/or USB so I have other connection options if my needs change.
My questions:
1. I'm still new to the Mac and especially when it comes to networking. I like how with the AEBS Hard Drive when it works it automatically shows up on my Mac like a hard drive volume. There is no need to log onto it when I use my Mac or anything. Will it be as easy with a NAS?
2. I've heard something about SMB Server and how any hard drive that's a NAS will be like this. Does this mean I do have to log on to use it and it won't be as easy?
3. I hear a lot about how I have to have one formatted as HFS+. Do all NAS drives do this or do you have to have one with that option?
4. Also, I hear the big thing to look for is one that has AFP. I know it's some type of Apple protocol. If so, would that make it easier to use and operate more like a AEBS Airdisk?
5. Lastly, assuming it's best to go with one that is HFS+/AFP I know there are few on the market. What are some good brands/models to look for?

Thanks for any help with the above questions.

I'll try to help you here but I'm sure others have great experience then myself.

While I don't have Airport Extreme, I believe it's a SAN (Storage Attached Network) instead of a true NAS (Network Attached Storage). While SANs you usually need to install some sort of driver on every computer that you want to have access to it. This is ok for small networks. Also there are no IP addressing involved in a SAN device. Also not much security either. Unlike NAS where it has an IP address so all other computers can talk to it (if you allow this) no drivers are required for all computers.

So say you have a SAN setup. A buddy comes over with his laptop and wants to access your movies or photos on your SAN. You would have to install the software that came with your SAN so he could access your movies or photos.

If you have a NAS and you can have user/password for anyone you want to have access to it. NAS are usually used so all operating systems can access them on the network (Windows or Mac computers).

You should checkout this about the miniStack NAS which is a SAN

For NAS checkout this DIY D-Link DNS-323

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.