• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

HTC Touch.Should I ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I know this is a bit like farting in church. However...

I love in an iPhoneless Land in the frozen north of Europe. We have no iPhones readily available and I don't feel like jumping though all the hoops to get one here before an official launch. So I happened to see a HTC Touch this last weekend and it looks a great bit of kit.
So what to do?
I can't afford it just yet but in the New year it won't be a problem The iPhone may be announced by then.
The HTC isn't a bad price and the iPhone sound like it will have an horrific price tag without a contract (Same as in France here)

So what do you guys think?

Anyone own one (A HTC Touch that is) ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
HTC Touch is a crappy version of the iphone... (i read terrible reviews)

Runs in a windows environment should I say anymore?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Cnet gave it a pretty decent review. In fact, the only negative review I've seen is one that MacDailyNews dug up from some obscure newspaper through AP.

If you need a new phone right now, and it looks like it will suit your needs, I'm sure you'll be able to sync it with your Mac through 3rd party apps since it's running Windows Mobile.

Is it as good as an iPhone? Probably not, but it might be some time before the iPhone is available in Norway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
The only thing I heard that is truly negative is that the typing really sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Like Shannonb said, the typing is rather horrendous. You literally have to peck at the screen to type out words, which can be really annoying if you have to do it often enough.

It seems to have some nice features, but the problem is actually using them without a stylus. I've owned several Windows Mobile phones and you eventually have to pull the thing out. This can be a problem for you because last I checked, the Touch doesn't come with one.

OP
Kilted1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Like Shannonb said, the typing is rather horrendous. You literally have to peck at the screen to type out words, which can be really annoying if you have to do it often enough.

It seems to have some nice features, but the problem is actually using them without a stylus. I've owned several Windows Mobile phones and you eventually have to pull the thing out. This can be a problem for you because last I checked, the Touch doesn't come with one.
This one comes with a stylus Kash I checked with the guy that was using it

Reaction score
I am going thru a similar decision. I am in a contract with Sprint now and have a Katana. Thinking about upgrading to a Palm Centro or waiting until my contract runs out and then switching over to an iPhone. Hard decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
HTC Touch is a crappy version of the iphone... (i read terrible reviews)

Runs in a windows environment should I say anymore?

I am not familiar with the HTC Touch.... BUT from what I see on their website the interface looks pretty neat. Yes the Keyboard looks like it will be a major PAIN. But I have to disagree with MacJuicy. I recently got simply FED UP with my Company Issue Treo 750 from Verizon and decided to give the Motorola Q 9M a shot, which is Windows Mobile Based. I couldn't be happier.

So don't let the Windows part sway your decision just see, like Kash said, if it fits your needs and if you really need a new phone right now.

CHeers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This one comes with a stylus Kash I checked with the guy that was using it

Looks like they changed it in pre-production, probably because testers complained.

HTC makes some great devices (I own two myself) and would definitely recommend them to people. However, I was just doing some more reading on the Touch and found that the TouchFlo software seems to be a bit slow.If you can handle the slightly laggy interface, definitely go for it because other than that, it's a solid device.

Of course, the best course would be to test it out yourself before buying it to see if you're comfortable with the interface.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.