MAC and (Windows on external HD )

Reaction score
Hello,
I have just purchased an IMAC with Leopard OS.
I have installed in the same partition thru BooT Camp windows Vista 32 Bit.
There is 1GB of memory that doesn't show on Vista and the machine is very slow.
I do have an external Maxtor 80GB USB hard disk and I would like to install Vista there, so no to partition the MAc HD disk anymore.
How should I format the external HD ?? And what is the best way to be able to instal Vista in this HD ??? When I try with boot camp it tries to partion MAC HD.
I have tried a software called Parallel Port, but I don't think it recognizes the external HD wich be connected to the back of the Mac screen by a usb wire. Thanks for any suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
First of all I don't think Windows supports installing on an external drive so you will be a little stuck there.

Does the memory show up correctly on OS X? How much is your total memory?

Do you mean Parallels Desktop?

OP
S
Reaction score
Mac and Windows

Thank you for your reply.
The total memory is 4GB and it shows correctly on the Mac. When I switch to Windows either by Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop it varies from 2.9 to 3.0 GB
There must be a way to install Vista on an external HD disk. The proble is HOW.....ehehehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I suspect you are using a 32bit Windows which cannot recognise more than 4GB. (that is, 4000MB, while your computer has a little more than that cause each DIMM will be 2048MB).

As for installing windows on an external drive, there is a way but it is a bit risky. By default Windows does not allow installing on an external drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.