Alternative to iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 gHz Dual Core
The title pretty much says it all. Just looking for another option to play music. I don't purchase music through the iStore and I don't own an iPod. Any help is appreciated.

Brandon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Hi!

If you're looking to play mp3s, QuickTime works just fine. There's also RealPlayer. If you want to play audio CDs, I don't know, but I'll bet you can find something if you look at the download section of the Apple website. Maybe QT and RP can play CDs too.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You don't have to purchase music with iTunes or have an iPod to use iTunes. Any other reasons why you don't want to use it? Are you looking for just something to play files or something to manage your music?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Why would you not want to use iTunes? By far the best player and organiser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think WinAmp I LOVE DACNING PONIES all over iTunes.
Like most things Apple, reduce function to increase usability, for the common folk. Power users may enjoy more functionality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Dudes. Try Cog. If you want a winampish way of working with music as files, then Cog is the answer. Native support for FLAC and all kinds of file formats.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WinAmp has streaming audio and video. you can SEARCH for the streams in winamp. You don't have to expand collapse all the categories like a goon trying to find something.
(for this, I use VLC on the mac)

Cog did look good.

Dancing ponies are the best. (sorry schweb)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2 gHz Dual Core
Guess I'm use to Media Monkey, very slimline, I just find iTunes has alot of things there that I dont need nor plan to use...Just something to organize music and play it thats all. No CD's no RIPPING no MP3 PLAYER just to play music

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well if you just want to organize music on your laptop, itunes will work just fine.

as others have said, audion and cog work very nicely, though don't have the organization features that itunes has.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
iTunes is one of the only Apple bits of software I've never liked. It's overkill for what I want. I've used loads of music players on Linux and Windows and a couple on Mac and VLC is bar far the best (for me) and it's free!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.